Cant Restore if Minimized thru Shortcut/ AutoResume support

Advertisement

seelie1

Cant Restore if Minimized thru Shortcut/ AutoResume support

Thank you for the great work. I'd like to report a few problems I noticed.

1, WinSCP's windows, if minimized 'directly' for example using a button of intellimouse, go all SW_HIDE and can not be restored by normal means such as clicking the "iconized button" on the taskbar. I think this pb is quite inconvenient and confusing for many users, although I myself have a tool that do ShowWindow externally which can bring back the invisible WinSCP.

2, Even if Transfer - Background - Remember password... is ticked, WinSCP doesn't remember the password to the key file. This is in theory understandable because the password to the server and the password to the keyfile are different things, but practically quite inconvenient. For example, you might start transferring a huge file (1GiB) just before going to bed, hoping the upload will be done when you get up, but WinSCP wouldn't resume if accidentally disconnected once, unless you re-input the password to the keyfile, so your idea ("I'll let it do the job when I'm sleeping. WinSCP will auto-resume if disconnected, so just leave it to this great app") wouldn't work. Actually WinSCP even doesn't explicitly ask the user to re-input the password to the keyfile when disconnected, if it is minimized and sent to the tray icon, waiting silently forever until the user notices the pb.

Technically it's not a bug at all, but I'd appreciate it if the i/f is a bit more intuitive and practical... (like "remember the passwords (1) for _ hours (2) for the session") What I would like is simply let it auto-resume when accidentally disconnected.
Thank you very much.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Cant Restore if Minimized thru Shortcut/ AutoResume supp

seelie1 wrote:

1, WinSCP's windows, if minimized 'directly' for example using a button of intellimouse, go all SW_HIDE and can not be restored by normal means such as clicking the "iconized button" on the taskbar. I think this pb is quite inconvenient and confusing for many users, although I myself have a tool that do ShowWindow externally which can bring back the invisible WinSCP.
What version of WinSCP are you using?

2, Even if Transfer - Background - Remember password... is ticked, WinSCP doesn't remember the password to the key file. This is in theory understandable because the password to the server and the password to the keyfile are different things, but practically quite inconvenient. For example, you might start transferring a huge file (1GiB) just before going to bed, hoping the upload will be done when you get up, but WinSCP wouldn't resume if accidentally disconnected once, unless you re-input the password to the keyfile, so your idea ("I'll let it do the job when I'm sleeping. WinSCP will auto-resume if disconnected, so just leave it to this great app") wouldn't work. Actually WinSCP even doesn't explicitly ask the user to re-input the password to the keyfile when disconnected, if it is minimized and sent to the tray icon, waiting silently forever until the user notices the pb.
Have you considered using pagent?

seelie

Re: Cant Restore if Minimized thru Shortcut/ AutoResume supp

Thank you for the comments.

martin wrote:

What version of WinSCP are you using?
4.0.7 and 4.1.1-beta

Have you considered using pagent?
I have my solution and I can live with this phenomenon. But maybe ordinary users wouldn't except this--having to type the same pswd to the keyfile again and again, twice per each disconnection, even after they told WinSCP to remember the pswd. It's not a bug but inefficient and not intuitive.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum