Topic "Internal Editor - transfer files on background?"

Pathduck
[View user's profile]
Donor
Hey,
I tried searching for this topic - I assume it must have been discussed before.

Anyway, is there a way to make the internal editor transfer files on background? My problem is sometimes I accidentaly press Edit on a huge log file, and then it cannot be canceled, and Winscp runs out of memory and so on...

Transfer on background is a bit slower, since it has to make a new connection but we have a fast network, and it would be great to be able to cancel large file transfers, like can be done fore regular transfers.

Maybe there is a setting for this, but I've not been able to find one - "Transfer on background by default" just seems to affect regular transfer, not the internal editor?

cheers,
Stian
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
No, it is not supported.

Moreover, it won't help in your case anyway. WinSCP likely runs out of memory when loading the file into editor and that would not change.
Pathduck
[View user's profile]
Donor
Thanks Martin. I definitely understand why it gets OOM, I just wanted to be able to avoid it altogether. Mostly I need to learn to look at file sizes before trying to edit such huge files Shocked

But I think if it was possible to transfer on background, we could also terminate the transfer and cancel the transfer before having to wait for the inevitable OOM to arrive Smile

If it just isn't doable, I understand, no worries.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Pathduck wrote:
But I think if it was possible to transfer on background, we could also terminate the transfer and cancel the transfer before having to wait for the inevitable OOM to arrive Smile

But you can cancel even the transfer on foreground. OR are there any problems with this?

Anyway, I'm adding option to check file size to tracker:
http://winscp.net/tracker/show_bug.cgi?id=1085
Pathduck
[View user's profile]
Donor
prikryl wrote:
But you can cancel even the transfer on foreground. OR are there any problems with this?

Yeah, that's the thing... I can't cancel a huge download - if I could it would be no problem Smile

I try for instance to transfer a 400MB file over SCP and pressing cancel does nothing until the editor pops up.

I'll try to get some logs for you if you want.

thanks,
Stian
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Pathduck wrote:
Yeah, that's the thing... I can't cancel a huge download - if I could it would be no problem Smile

What protocol are you using?
Pathduck
[View user's profile]
Donor
prikryl wrote:
Pathduck wrote:

What protocol are you using?

I use SCP mostly - I now see the doc states the transfer cannot be canceled using SCP. However it can be canceled with SFTP.
http://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_progress#controlling

I think I had the whole thing mixed up - I thought SCP was the best protocol, apparently it is not, SFTP is far better Embarassed

Thanks for the Bug-tracker, I think it will be a good feature to have regardless - I think for instance 100MB would be a good limit for warning - no-one in their right mind would want to edit a 100MB file in the internal editor Mr. Green
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License