[HELP NEEDED] WinSCP Prompts password at first file edit and generates SSH "passwort failed"

Advertisement

PXLKNG

[HELP NEEDED] WinSCP Prompts password at first file edit and generates SSH "passwort failed"

Hey friends,

a few months ago I rented a vServer and am using WinSCP as the (S)FTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol) Client for accessing it. But recently, WinSCP has started prompting me for a password everytime changing the first file in the current session. It didn't do that before. After i entered the password, it doesn't prompt me again for the whole session.
By the way: If i start a new session, I can delete and move files without WinSCP prompting me for a password. It only prompts for the first file edit.

So, this wouldn't be a problem, but I am using Fail2Ban on my vServer and noticed that - when WinSCP tries to upload the edited file and prompts me - it generates a ssh "password failed", leading fail2ban to ban my ip after a couple of times.

PS: The problem started occuring without any event or change in configs, etc. taking place before. WinSCP just randomly started prompting me.

So the main question: Does anyone know why WinSCP keeps prompting me or how I can solve this issue? Every help is appreciated! Thanks already.

Some Infos:

Client Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 [Version 10.0.19041.610]
Server Operating System: latest Linux Debian 10 (Buster) - all installed packages are latest version too
WinSCP Version: 5.17.7.10640 (GUI)
Passwort Length: 800 - I am kinda paranoid, so don't ask (I only mention this, because I thought that the length might be a problem? like WinSCP failing at storing the password for the session or something like that. but since it works after the prompt it can't be that really.)
Protocol: SSH File Transport Protocol
Logs: I decided against uploading the auth.log since its just a generic "failed password" info. I checked for other errors or messages, but theres nothing than this.

Disclaimer: Sorry if my english is bad, it's not my native language.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: [HELP NEEDED] WinSCP Prompts password at first file edit and generates SSH "passwort failed"

Please attach a full session log file showing the problem (using the latest version of WinSCP). Also can you try setting a shorter password temporarily?

To generate the session log file, enable logging, log in to your server and do the operation and only the operation that causes the error. Submit the log with your post as an attachment. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you can mark the attachment as private.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum