Topic "Unexpected directory listing line"

Author Message
jono

Guest


Im getting some odd error messages:

Error listing directory "/mnt/data".
Unexpected directory listing line "drwxr-xr-x 2 root 12288 Oct 25 16:06 NickPAYEbup".
Operation aborted

is typical.. Any ideas?

jono
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24555
Location: Prague, Czechia
jono wrote:
Error listing directory "/mnt/data".
Unexpected directory listing line "drwxr-xr-x 2 root 12288 Oct 25 16:06 NickPAYEbup".

WinSCP expects group name in directory listing. Have you tried to check option "Alias LS to display group name" on "Shell" tab of Login dialog?
If it does not work, make proper settings on your server to force LS to display group name.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
Guest




prikryl wrote:
jono wrote:
Error listing directory "/mnt/data".
Unexpected directory listing line "drwxr-xr-x 2 root 12288 Oct 25 16:06 NickPAYEbup".

WinSCP expects group name in directory listing. Have you tried to check option "Alias LS to display group name" on "Shell" tab of Login dialog?
If it does not work, make proper settings on your server to force LS to display group name.


Seems to expect a group whatever... Crying or Very sad
Solution is to always use a group name.

Thanks

jono
Guest




To me this behaviour seems like a very bad feature. On our system all users have group set to user name which WinSCP doesn't accept. Since our sysadmin hasn't defined any groups this make WinSCP unusable for me...

Regards, Hans - hansfn@gexcon.com
Guest




Hans wrote:
To me this behaviour seems like a very bad feature. On our system all users have group set to user name which WinSCP doesn't accept.


Forget all about this - I misundetstood. The solution for me was to force WinSCP to use bash in stead of my default tcsh shell.

Hans
jarino

Guest


Okay, I have looked at the hints here and I get the general thing to do. My question is then "what sort of shell does winscp activate?". I have put aliases in my .bashrc and .cshrc (which seems to be the default shell on my system), something like
alias ls='ls -g' (for bashrc).

So now when I ssh to my lab and do a ls -l, I get:
drwx------ 9 arino math 1024 Jan 14 18:35 .
But in the winscp log window, I see
drwx------ 9 arino 1024 Jan 14 18:35 .

So why is my group is missing? I have specified to use bash, I've tried clearing up the aliases, setting them, forcing LS, not forcing it, etc.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24555
Location: Prague, Czechia
jarino wrote:
So why is my group is missing? I have specified to use bash, I've tried clearing up the aliases, setting them, forcing LS, not forcing it, etc.

Some general notes:
  • .bashrc might not be invoked for WinSCP session. And naturally if you set "Clear aliases" it cannot work.
  • Have you tried "Alias LS to display group name" option on Shell tab?

_________________
Martin Prikryl
Guest




Anonymous wrote:
Hans wrote:
To me this behaviour seems like a very bad feature. On our system all users have group set to user name which WinSCP doesn't accept.


Forget all about this - I misundetstood. The solution for me was to force WinSCP to use bash in stead of my default tcsh shell.

Hans


This worked for me, I deselected clear aliases, selected alias ls to display group name, and forced bash shell, and now it works great Smile
Guest




prikryl wrote:
jarino wrote:
So why is my group is missing? I have specified to use bash, I've tried clearing up the aliases, setting them, forcing LS, not forcing it, etc.

Some general notes:
  • .bashrc might not be invoked for WinSCP session. And naturally if you set "Clear aliases" it cannot work.
  • Have you tried "Alias LS to display group name" option on Shell tab?


I have. Now I seem to be having a peculiar problem: I set the options as suggested, and saved them as default. When I look at them, I have for example no check mark in "Clear aliases". However, when I look at the connexion log, I have:
Clear aliases: Yes, Unset nat.vars: Yes
Alias LS: No, Ign LS warn: Yes, Scp1 Comp: No

And the program indeed goes on to clear the aliases and in particular
Clearing all aliases.
unalias "ls" ; echo "WinSCP: this is end-of-file:$status"
WinSCP: this is end-of-file:0

So of course, my alias ls='ls -g' doesn't work. Why is it ignoring its configuration?
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24555
Location: Prague, Czechia
For list of reasons WinSCP cannot parse directory listing and possible resolutions, see documentation.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
knerzelman

Guest


I'd say winscp expects a BLANK between the group and byte entry.

Bad example:
-rw-rw-rw- 1 admin administ5572351239 Jan 2 20:39 Movie.mkv

An alias of ls to ls -lh should solve the issue as bytes are then converted to human readable.

Good example:
-rw-rw-rw- 1 admin administ 5.2G Jan 2 20:39 Movie.mkv
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum






Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License