Putting large files in Linux server via SFTP

Advertisement

little_android

Putting large files in Linux server via SFTP

Hi,

I'm using WinSCP in my everyday work for more than 10 years, and I'm very satisfied with it.
Due to some problems that we had some time ago, I decided to change the way we work and made new macros which upload/download some files to/from a server instead of working directly in the server. After the change I made, all of the macros (which uploading/downloading files) are working perfect except one. First one explanation - in one macro I'm uploading/downloading 4-5 files with one script. The difference in the macro which is not working very well, is that in it one of the 4–5 files, which I'm uploading is much bigger (compared with the others) – let's say 70 Mb is the bigger file and the size of each of the other files do not exceed 2–3 Kb. As I said I'm using both commands put and get. With the get I don't have problem. But with the put I'm having problem with the big file – not always but 2–3 times a week (the macros are executed once per day) – simply the big file is not fully uploaded and in the server remains the last successfully uploaded file. Any idea how to overcome this?
I'm sending the file which executed.
PS Do you think that if I make a separate script for the big file it will work?

Description: In the attached jpg the big file for which I'm talking is Yantra_3.5.dss

Yantra.jpg

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Putting large files in Linux server via SFTP

Please attach a full session log file showing the problem (using the latest version of WinSCP).

Also note the name and size of the problematic file.

Additionally, this is not completely clear to me:
file is not fully uploaded and in the server remains the last successfully uploaded file

To generate the session log file, use /log=C:\path\to\winscp.log command-line argument. Submit the log with your post as an attachment. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you can mark the attachment as private.

little_android

Dear Martin,

Thank you for your reply. As I said this Marco is running once a day. And today it happened again – the big file is not transferred (or at least not the whole one). By the last I mean that when part of the file is transferred, a file named the same as the original with an extension filepart is created and the last successfully transferred file remains in the destination folder – see the JPG file I'm sending. I'm also sending the requested log file – in it I have changed the server name and its IP address with "server.name".

Regards,
Georgy

PS to be absolutely clear - I'm talking about the file Yantra_3.5.dss
  • File{a.jpg (39.22 KB, Private file)
  • winSCP.log (27 KB, Private file)

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Well, the upload clearly failed, with an error message, which you never mentioned:
System Error. Code: 33.
The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file
It seems to be a common problem on VMWare. Are you using VMWare or other VM?

little_android

I'm seeing this message for the first time, since it never occurred to me to produce and watch the log file. As I said before I'm using your software very intensively for about 10 years, to be honest mainly for downloading files from a Linux server, and uploading small files to different places (servers). And never encountered a problem of the kind till I began putting this large file.

To your question: since I don't know what is VMWare (only heard of it) I'm not using it – how could this be checked.

I have another thought – could it be because the network is dropping when putting large files? – as I mentioned that I'm using your software very intensively, but mainly for downloading files. And from time to time it happens the connection to drop. In that case your software automatically remembers that some file is not downloaded and gives a possibility to download it again. But this not the case with put command – at least according to me.

Advertisement

little_android

Problems with Putting large files......

Dear Martin,

Some feedback: the last two days the software could not upload the big file Yantra_3.5.dss

Today – it succeeded. So I'm sending you the log file again - this could be helpful for you.

Regards,
Georgy
  • winSCP.log (27.26 KB, Private file)

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Imo, the problem is with reading the local source file, not with upload/network.
If you are not using WinsCP on VMWare or VM, is there any other special system component on your local machine? Maybe some special security system? Antivirus?

little_android

Putting large files.....

Dear Martin,
Yesterday I changed a little the macro. And in the macro decided to put separately the large file. In addition I added another comparatively large file (Yantra_3.5.gage) to be uploaded separately. I'm attaching the log file from it today. As you see, according to the log file, the file should be have been transferred successfully. But actually this file was never transferred. The file which is in the server is from yesterday. Could you please explain this?

To your question – I'm not very well acquainted with the Linux server we are using. I will right to you tomorrow more on that matter.

Regards,
Georgy

PS Will you answer to my other question on the other topic, which I put, concerning the put and get commands
  • winSCP1.log (11.58 KB, Private file)

little_android

Putting large files......

Dear Martin,

As I told you yesterday – on Monday I changed a little the macro in the section of uploading the big file. I made separate script for the uploading of the big file and made a loop – if the there is an error in the transfer to make again the script and execute it again.
Yesterday it was my mistake about the other big file which I decided to upload. The information in the log file is correct and there was an upload of the file, simply there was no change since the day before in it and that's why I made a mistake when I wrote that the file was not transferred (uploaded).

About the information with network - the IP addresses of the PCs from which we are running the scripts begin with 192.168 (they are on an internal network) and the IP address of the LINUX server is a real one. Could this be some problem when making connection?

Regards,
Georgy

PS And I'm asking for the other topic which I put about the case-sensitivity of the commands put and get.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Putting large files......

I've already written before that I do not think this problem is about network or making connections.
It seems to be a problem with accessing/reading the local source file. That's why I asked about "special system component on your local machine".

And I've responded your question about case-sensitivity week ago already.

little_android

Dear Martin,

As I told you – I've made some changes in the VB program which runs these scripts. And will watch how it will behave. If you are right than no matter this change, the files will fail to upload sometimes. Actually the dss file is database binary file for one hydrological model. And as I told you it is run once per day.
In the meantime I will talk with our administrators and will tell them your opinion on the matter.
Later I will come back to you – if there is need.

Thank you for your response to the other topic – I already asked a colleague of mine and he told me the same as you. I changed the file name in the script to be exactly the same as it is (with upper and lower case).

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum