Custom shortcut to open a certain directory

Advertisement

snvb

Custom shortcut to open a certain directory

Hello,

as a part of my daily BAU tasks, I have to login to multiple site daily to fetch certain files for a certain date.
The folders are always FTP, have a username\pwd and the same remote directory.
The remote directory is many nested folders from the root folder.

What I want is a shortcut command to go to that remote directory upon login or at least set the default remote directory. The Manage > Set defaults includes the FTP address and credentials also, which I don't want.

OR, can I create a custom command with the FTP URL – with credentials and remote folder that opens a session?

I have tried shared bookmarks, but they get cleared once the server connections clears during the night.

Please help in easing\quicken this step to go to the remote folder.

Thank you.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Custom shortcut to open a certain directory

I'm not sure I understand. You wrote that you do not want to use "Set defaults" because it includes credentials and you do not want that. And then you ask if you can create custom command with credentials. So do you want to save credentials or not?

Anyway, "Set defaults" does not have to save the credentials or hostname. It saves whatever you specify on the Login dialog. So it can save only the default remote directory, if that's what you want.

I do not understand your problem with shared bookmarks either. How do they get cleared when "server connections clears"? They never get cleared. The shared bookmarks seems like good solution for you.

Custom command can also be used (assuming you have a shell access to all your servers).

snvb

Thank you Martin for your reply. Apologies for the confusion in statements.

My endgame was to have the correct remote directory selected after login and I was trying to achieve it thru various methods – with or without credentials.

The WinSCP appl. is itself installed on another server and when my connection to the server gets disconnected (after I logoff for the day and reconnect then next), I lose the saved Shared bookmarks.

I was able to use the Advanced Site Settings > Environment > Directories > Remote directory textbox along with the Set Defaults feature to set the desired remote directory.

Many thanks again.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Probably the "disconnect" terminated WinSCP abruptly, so it does not save its configuration (the shared bookmark).
If you would rather use the shared bookmark than the "Set defaults" (I would), then close WinSCP once after saving the bookmark, to persist it.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum