Topic "I want it to work like NET USE G: //mylinux/home/myuser"

Author Message
m00

Guest


I want it to work like NET USE G: //mylinux/home/myuser So I can use SSH secure protocol anywhere. If WinSCP does not support it, do anybody know another program that support it?
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24555
Location: Prague, Czechia
I want this too, but I don't know how to do it Smile
I know only few FTP programs that can do this, for example Webdrive. But I don't know such SCP/SFTP application. And I think there is no such. There are so few normal SCP/SFTP clients, that I would know about one, if it exists.
dasr

Guest


prikryl wrote:
I know only few FTP programs that can do this, for example Webdrive. But I don't know such SCP/SFTP application. And I think there is no such. There are so few normal SCP/SFTP clients, that I would know about one, if it exists.

Actually the linked page says:

Quote:
WebDrive integrates a WebDAV, FTP, or SFTP server into the Windows desktop by mapping it to a network drive letter.

So there should be support for SFTP.
Guest




Alternative is to simulate a virtual IP address inside windows PC like the one in the screen shot of http://www.colinux.org/
http://www.colinux.org/screenshots/network.png

Now if you can run a service like Samba for that IP Address from windows, people will be able access it like a network drive.

This will also allow other PC in network to access the new virtual IP address

I belive those projects will be happy to help you in this

http://us1.samba.org/samba/samba.html
http://www.samba-tng.org/docs/tng-arch/tng-arch01.html#l1
dillee1

Guest


m00 wrote:
I want it to work like NET USE G: //mylinux/home/myuser So I can use SSH secure protocol anywhere. If WinSCP does not support it, do anybody know another program that support it?


You can do that with samba.
if SMB/CIFS is somehow unaccessible and only ssh(tcp 22) is allowed, you can "tunnel" the smb session through ssh. adding sftp drive mount feature to winscp is redundant imo.
dillee1

Guest


m00 wrote:
I want it to work like NET USE G: //mylinux/home/myuser So I can use SSH secure protocol anywhere. If WinSCP does not support it, do anybody know another program that support it?


You can do that with samba.
if SMB/CIFS is somehow unaccessible and only ssh(tcp 22) is allowed, you can "tunnel" the smb session through ssh. adding sftp drive mount feature to winscp is redundant imo.
dillee1

Guest


m00 wrote:
I want it to work like NET USE G: //mylinux/home/myuser So I can use SSH secure protocol anywhere. If WinSCP does not support it, do anybody know another program that support it?


You can do that with samba.
if SMB/CIFS is somehow unaccessible and only ssh(tcp 22) is allowed, you can "tunnel" the smb session through ssh. adding sftp drive mount feature to winscp is redundant imo.
Guest




I just ran into this, and thought I'd point out that the code used for it might allow similar things to be used for WinSCP integration wtih Explorer (i.e. such that you could mount a remote server to a drive letter).
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

--John Silvestri (who doesn't see the need yet to register)
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24555
Location: Prague, Czechia
Quote:
I just ran into this, and thought I'd point out that the code used for it might allow similar things to be used for WinSCP integration wtih Explorer (i.e. such that you could mount a remote server to a drive letter).
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

I've checked the app, but I think that it does not mount a virtual drive. It just extends functionality of Windows Explorer (icons, functions...). Mounting drive is much more low-level feature. It is not about Windows Explorer it is about Windows-system.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
Biberl

Guest


Please try to add this feature. A virtual ssh/sftp drive would be the thing I'm searching for a long time.
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum






Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License