I'm a co-worker of the post author, mcolthurst. We've also seen the following behavior (related or unrelated):
- The WinSCP.exe file that we'd been using successfully for a couple of weeks was all of a sudden showing a file size of "0" bytes. We're not sure why, and copying a new WinSCP.exe file in place of it did not fix our issue. We've seen this twice.
- Upon occasion, we'll see up to (4) WinSCP.exe processes running via TaskManager, and they don't appear to ever end or clear themselves out. Manually closing those processes is possible, but WinSCP still doesn't work when run from a SQL stored procedure.
- While our process is "broken", we can successfully run "ftp.exe" from the same stored procedure instead of WinSCP. It works just fine.
- As mcolthurst shared, while the process is "broken", we can successfully run the same processes MANUALLY without issue. It's broken when trying to run it via stored procedure.
- This same behavior is happening on two different servers -- dev and prod.
- While our process is "broken", running WinSCP with the /debug (logging) switch doesn't appear to log anything at all.
Any help out there? This issue is seriously client-impacting for us right now.