This guide contains simplified description of connecting to FTP or SFTP server with WinSCP.
Before starting you should have WinSCP installed.
Before you connect, you need to know at least:
- Host name1 of the server,2 such as
ftp.example.com. Particularly when connecting to server hosting your website, note that the host name of the server, where you connect to manage the web site may not be the same as your website domain.
- Protocol the server supports (FTP, SFTP, FTPS, etc.).
- Account username.
- Account password.3
If you do not know these details, ask the administrator of the system you are trying to connect to, such as:
- IT Support department of the company you work in;
- IT Support department of the university you study at;
- Webhosting company that provides you a website.
Start WinSCP. Login Dialog will appear. On the dialog:
- Select your File protocol.
When you are about to use FTPS protocol (FTP over TLS/SSL, not SFTP), select FTP and then choose one of the FTPS invocation methods).
- Enter your host name to Host name field, username to User name and password to Password
- You may want to save your session details to a site so you do not need to type them in every time you want to connect. Press Save button and type site name.
- Press Login to connect.