Documentation » Support »
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Using WinSCP
- Connecting to the Server
- Transferring Files
- Configuring the Session
- Working with iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad
Connecting to the Server
- Where do I get a username and password?
- Why can’t I connect or login to my server?
- Why is WinSCP not able to connect to a server, when other clients are?
- Can I connect to an FTP server?
- How do I know if the connection is secure?
- Where do I get SSH host key fingerprint to authorize the server?
- I get the message “Received too large (??? B) SFTP packet” when I login. What is the problem?
- Where should I type the IP address of my remote host?
- How can I connect without entering private key passphrase each time?
- Why does WinSCP keep on asking me for a session password?
- Why is WinSCP rejecting my session password?
- Can you reset my password?
- Can I connect to a mainframe server? (e.g. VMS, MVS, AS/400)
- How to connect to a server that does not allow an access to the root path?
- Can I transfer files between two remote servers with WinSCP?
- File transfer speed is very low. WinSCP does not utilize all available bandwidth. How do I improve the transfer speed?
- I need to overwrite a remote file that isn’t owned by me, but I’m member of its group. The file has write permission for group. After transfer I get a message like “Upload of file <filename> was successful, but error occurred while setting the permissions and/or timestamp”
- Where can I change the file transfer mode (binary, ascii) or enable the auto-select transfer mode option?
- Why is the timestamp of uploaded/downloaded file different from the timestamp of the source file?
- Can I transfer file larger than 4 GB (or 2 GB)?
- When I attempt to copy files, I get an Error 127. What does this mean?
- Why does file size and/or content change during transfer?
- Why are text file line breaks wrong, after the file is transferred or edited?
- Why is uploaded file not showing in a remote directory or showing with a different name?
Configuring the Session
- My script works fine when executed manually, but fails or hangs when run by Windows Scheduler, SSIS or other automation service. What am I doing wrong?
- How do I configure site, transfer and/or any other settings for which there are no script commands?
- How do I know that script completed successfully?
- Why are some WinSCP scripting commands specified in a batch file not executed/failing?
- How do I transfer new/modified files only?
- How do I create script that synchronizes files and deletes synchronized files from source afterward?
- Why the switches do not work in my script?
- Why I cannot connect/transfer using script, when I can using GUI (or vice versa)?
- Why is WinSCP returning non zero exit code?
- How do I transfer (or synchronize) directory non-recursively?
- Why are options provided to WinSCP .NET assembly methods in PowerShell being ignored?
- Synchronization or keep remote directory up to date functions are not working. Why?
- What do direction options (local, remote, both) for Synchronization mean?
Working with iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad
- How do I change user after login (e.g. su root)?
- Why WinSCP breaks permissions (jail, chroot)?
- How do I make WinSCP show localized and/or UTF-8 encoded (Unicode) filenames correctly?
- Why are the changes, I upload to webserver, not visible in the web browser?
- Can I map a remote directory as a network drive in Windows?
- What is error code 4?
- How do I transfer my settings to another computer? How do I import/export my settings?
- I cannot read the file panel font. How can I make the panel font bigger?
- What command-line parameters can be used with WinSCP?
- How to keep the user in a specified directory on the server? (chroot session)
- Can the internal editor be better (e.g. syntax highlighting)?
- Is there some API that I can use to add file transfer functionality to my application?
- Can you provide us with export control information / FIPS certification for WinSCP?
- How many WinSCP licenses has our company bought?
- Can I recover password stored in WinSCP session?
- Can I undelete remote file removed with WinSCP?
- Where is documentation for error codes?
- Why is WinSCP window not showing after I start the program? Only a taskbar button appears.
- Why I cannot see some local folders?