Double click attempts to open file like a directory

Advertisement

bblackmoor
Donor

Double click attempts to open file like a directory

Version 5.19.4
  • Options >> Preferences >> Panels >> Double-click is set to "Copy"
  • Session >> Sites >> Site Manager ... >> (select a site in the left pane)
    >> Edit >> Advanced ... >> Environment/Directories >> Resolve symbolic links is NOT CHECKED
    >> Edit >> Advanced ... >> Environment/Directories >> Follow symbolic links to directories is CHECKED
Double clicking an image in the remote pane attempts to open the file like a directory, and fails, because the file is not a directory: it is a *.jpg image.

If I change the "Resolve symbolic links" to CHECKED, then double-clicking the file transfers it. NOTE: the file is not a symbolic link: it is a *.jpg image.

I believe this is a bug.

Advertisement

bblackmoor
Donor

Additional information

If I change the settings to
    >> Edit >> Advanced ... >> Environment/Directories >> Resolve symbolic links is NOT CHECKED
    >> Edit >> Advanced ... >> Environment/Directories >> Follow symbolic links to directories is NOT CHECKED
Double clicking an image in the remote pane still attempts to open the file like a directory, and fails, because the file is not a directory: it is a *.jpg image.

bblackmoor
Donor

Double click

I had not seen that documentation.

If not a bug, I guess this is a feature request:
  • If "Operation to perform on double-click" is "Open", then WinSCP should attempt to open.
  • If "Operation to perform on double-click" is "Copy", then WinSCP should attempt to copy.
  • If "Operation to perform on double-click" is "Edit", then WinSCP should attempt to edit.

bblackmoor
Donor

Oh, wait...

Oh, wait: I think I see the problem.

When the user double-clicks a directory, WinSCP navigates to that directory.

When the user double-clicks a file, WinSCP copies that file (or opens it, or edits it, depending on the double-click setting).

But if "resolve symbolic links" is turned OFF, WinSCP does not know whether the target is a directory or a file? Is that it?

Advertisement

bblackmoor
Donor

Apologies

I apologize, Martin: you responded promptly and offered a test version of WinSCP for me to try, and I still have not tested it. It's just been a very busy month. :(

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum