"Master password handler not set" when starting WinSCP with connection specified from command line

Advertisement

some2lovewisp
Donor

"Master password handler not set" when starting WinSCP with connection specified from command line

When I start WinSCP from the command line and specify a connection that needs the master password, I receive the error "Master password handler not set". WinSCP works fine when started and connection opened through the GUI.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: "Master password handler not set" when starting WinSCP with connection specified from command line

Thanks for your report. I'll look into it.

some2lovewisp
Donor

Re: "Master password handler not set" when starting WinSCP with connection specified from command line

I should add – this specifically broke in 5.21.2. It worked ok in 5.21.1.

aksarben

Master Password Handler Not Set

After upgrading to WinSCP-5.21.2, I can no longer run WinSCP. Every time I try to launch the app, a dialog appears that says Master password handler not set.

I run Windows 10.

Right now WinSCP is unusable, and I’m dead in the water. What can I do?

Advertisement

Re: Master Password Handler Not Set

@aksarben I think you can run WinSCP from the program itself, than login to the site on the site manager. And you can access it. For me its just the Shortcut that's broken. If you turn off master password "which I don't recommend" the shortcut works fine... .sigh....

aksarben

Well, yes, I know I can do that. The problem is that the password is long and hard to remember, and I have to look it up each time I need to run WinSCP. That was the whole point of the password manager in the first place: It managed complicated passwords so I didn't have to.

WinSCP broke in version 5.21.2. How soon can it be "unbroken"? In the meantime I use Windows Explorer, with a drive mapped to my server. If get used to it too much, I may be tempted to ditch WinSCP, which would be a shame, as it has some features I really like.

@aksarben: I map a drive to file share also. Its broken for a lot of our finance team. We can't deactivate the password because of security. So the sooner the fix, the better. Would they be able to provide a timetable for the fix? Was thinking of trying to install the older version.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

@aksarben: It's fixed already. The fix will be released in few weeks. Though there's no need to wait for the release. Downgrade to 5.21.1 is an easy solution.

Advertisement

aksarben

Great! I was afraid the reply might be “We couldn’t reproduce the symptom.”
Glad you were able to find the cause.

Since we have a workaround for now, believe we’ll wait for the release with the official fix.

I’m trying to remember: Will we automatically receive a notice when the next version is released?

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum