Integrate Git Bash with Windows Terminal, OpenSSH, Pageant and WinSCP

Advertisement

mobeigi
Donor
mobeigi avatar

Integrate Git Bash with Windows Terminal, OpenSSH, Pageant and WinSCP

Hi all,

First of all, a big thanks to the WinSCP team! Been using this software since I was a kid when I was hosting my first Wordpress blog! Still use it heavily today as my main server file management tool on Windows.

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to share but I wanted to share my WinSCP setup for Git Bash.

I wrote a blog post about this:
Integrate Git Bash with Windows Terminal, OpenSSH, Pageant and WinSCP – Mo Beigi: Blog

Namely on how to integrate WT with a profile for Git Bash with WinSCP. Took me a fair bit of trial and error to make it work based on examples within: Integration with PuTTY

In the end I got it to work though and it looks beautiful! With WinSCP icon and all:

Hopefully it helps someone else trying to do the same thing.

Reply with quote E-mail

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Integrate Git Bash with Windows Terminal, OpenSSH, Pageant and WinSCP

Thanks for sharing this!

I'm just unclear about the Pageant use with ssh. How does it work?

mobeigi
Donor
mobeigi avatar

I'm not too sure about the specific technical details as I didn't dive deep into it.

It looks like Pageant makes that pageant.conf file which which exposes a named pipe that can be used to retrieves Pageants keys. Then Windows OpenSSH reads the config file and thus includes the named pipe file from pageant and now they're automatically linked.

Then, in all your terminals or other apps, you can use Windows OpenSSH version of ssh.exe and it will automatically find your Pageant keys! You could also use PuTTY instead but other apps integrate more seamlessly with OpenSSH so I prefer to use that.

Also looks like I missed mentioning something in my post about setting the GIT_SSH env var for GIT as that determines which SSH agent to use.

Reply with quote E-mail

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum