File Transfer from Windows to Unix Server

Advertisement

yalok

File Transfer from Windows to Unix Server

Appreciate answer to below queries.

1. What's the difference between SCP and WinSCP?
2. Is my understanding correct...SCP is for Unix and WinSCP is for Windows?
3. How can I transfer file from Windows server to Unix Server using SCP automatically on daily basis?

Thank You.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: File Transfer from Windows to Unix Server

yalok wrote:

1. What's the difference between SCP and WinSCP?
2. Is my understanding correct...SCP is for Unix and WinSCP is for Windows?
SCP is file transfer protocol. Also it is name of command-line scp client (typically use on Unix/Linux systems). WinSCP is Windows file transfer client. It uses SCP, but it is not just GUI counterpart of the command-line scp.

3. How can I transfer file from Windows server to Unix Server using SCP automatically on daily basis?
I would use SCP client on the Window server to connect to the Unix server (where there's more probably SSH server running). Just schedule task to run the SCP client using Windows scheduler. See this FAQ

yalok

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding daily file transfer from Windows to Unix, I have created Public and Private key pair using tool Putty Key Generator and registered the public on Unix Server and planning to put the below script in Batch file but getting error "Server Refused our key" and challenging for the password, any help to rectify the problem
call "C:\Program Files\WinSCP3\WinSCP3.exe" /console /command /PrivateKey=C:\windowsuser_dsa.PPK "open unix_FID_dev:@UnixDevserver" "option confirm off" "put c:\Testfile.txt /home/user/unix_FID_dev/" "put c:\EODIndicator.txt /home/user/unix_FID_dev/"
Any other alternative to transfer file from Windows to Unix apart from WinSCP?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

You have probably not registered the key correctly on the server.

FredZone

I am having this exact problem ("Server refuses our key") when attempting to connect to a Unix SSH server from a W2K or XP box using either the /script or /command option. I can connect to the same server with the WinSCP GUI using the same .ppk file, so how can the key not be "registered properly on the server?" I'm stumped. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum