WinSCPnet.dll installation and usage confusion

Advertisement

lkubler

WinSCPnet.dll installation and usage confusion

Hi,

I need to create a reoccuring scheduled SFTP process and think WinSCPnet with PowerShell scripting will do the job. I don't have much experience with PowerShell but I guess this is my chance to learn something new. :D

So I downloaded winscp556automation.zip, unzipped it and copied the dll into the C:\windows\SysWOW64 folder on my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit desktop. I did the registration as described on this page https://winscp.net/eng/docs/library_install#registering.

Then I borrowed a sample script from elseware on this site and gave it a try but received this error message:

The winscp.exe executable was not found at location of the assembly (C:\Windows\SysWOW64), nor in an installation path. You may use Session.ExecutablePath property to explicitly set path to winscp.exe.

So I added the Session.ExecutablePath to point to SysWOW64 and now I get this message:

The specified executable is not a valid application for this OS platform.

Then I noticed this comment on that installation page:

The package includes the assembly itself (winscpnet.dll) and a required dependency, WinSCP executable winscp.exe.

The binaries interact with each other and must be kept in the same folder for the assembly to work.

So I looked at the zip file I downloaded again and all I see is the dll and two txt files. Color me confused, where is the WinSCP executable? Shouldn't it be in the zip file I downloaded or do I need to install WinSCP for this dll library to function? For my project I'm thinking I don't really need the full WinSCP, unless it is to make the .Net dll funciton.

When I take this live it will be on a server and I would really prefer not to have to install another application on the server.

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Linn

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCPnet.dll installation and usage confusion

It's inconsistency on our side.
We have updated the documentation for 5.7 release already two days back, expecting a release on the same day. But due to technical problems, the release was posponed until today.
In the old versions, the winscp.exe was not included in the assembly package.
Either check the old version of the documentation:
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/library_install?rev=1423667558
Or wait few hours for 5.7 release.
Apologies for your troubles.

Btw:
- You do not need to "register" the assembly to use it from PowerShell. Registering is for COM only.
- Putting the assembly to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 is not a good practice. Just put it to a user folder along with your PowerShell script.

joep3joep3@gmail.com

Can not get winscpnet.dll in gac

Ive got the winscp.com registered on my computer but the the namespace of the import does not link (its greyed out in tu he com libraries). I placed the dll in each of the netframework directories. Then it tells me the framework is newer than the dll. Then i place the .net 4.0 dll in the required positions and my compiler on my ssis visual studio only goes up to 3.5 . Nothing wants to take this dll.

Reply with quote E-mail

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Can not get winscpnet.dll in gac

joep3joep3@gmail.com wrote:

Ive got the winscp.com registered
winscp.com cannot be registered. winscp.com has nothing to do with .NET. What did you do actually?

joep3joep3

martin wrote:

joep3joep3@gmail.com wrote:

Ive got the winscp.com registered
winscp.com cannot be registered. winscp.com has nothing to do with .NET. What did you do actually?

Im trying to get the dll to be accepted as a resource. Unfortunately i am not the administrator of the computer so each time i need to contact help desk to move files into the assembly area. Im going to try to place the com, exe and dll in each of the netframework subdirectories. I did discover that the area i need to place the files is possibly in the earliest version available. Those areas are c:\windows\netframework\ ... versions acailable. I think these area the areas that the dll needs to placed in, but im not sure exactly which one. Im going to have to try each one.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean by "accepted as a resource". Nor do I understand what are you trying to achieve.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum