Create new session/process when editing file

Advertisement

Pyre909
Donor

Create new session/process when editing file

I could not find if this was on the tracker on the forums. If there is I apologize.

Suggestion: If possible when editing a remote file if that can be placed into a new/background process that won't interfere with you working in a remote session. This would be quite handy when working with large files.

EX. Edit text file that gets placed in a background process and keep working in WinSCP.

I may be being picky here, right now I just use PSFTP to download a file, but sometimes I need to edit large files that take a while and would like to keep working in WINSCP.

Thoughts?

Also on another I would not mind in contributing with coding bugs/features.
Thanks!

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Create new session/process when editing file

Do I understand right that you want to put a download transfer to background?

Pyre909
Donor

Hi Martin,

Not sure if im describing this correctly. Mainly for the window that display that it is downloading the file to be placed as a background process so that you can keep working in the same site. So if were on the same page then yes?

Regards

Screenshot - 11_30_2017 , 5_22_19 AM.png

saud
Donor
saud avatar

I already do this using Notepad++, edit your files using Notepad++ and keep working on your site using WinSCP. You can even open multiple files and edit multiple files simultaneously with Notepad++ and as soon as you hit the save button in one of the open files in Notepad++ Winscp will automatically update the file on the server, you dont even have to manually upload the file. Open settings and replace internal editor with Notepad++.

Advertisement

Pyre909
Donor

saud wrote:

I already do this using Notepad++, edit your files using Notepad++ and keep working on your site using WinSCP. You can even open multiple files and edit multiple files simultaneously with Notepad++ and as soon as you hit the save button in one of the open files in Notepad++ Winscp will automatically update the file on the server, you dont even have to manually upload the file. Open settings and replace internal editor with Notepad++.

Hi Saud,

The reason that I am requesting this is due to me working on large files. I have to wait for the file to download and the file sizes usually span between either a couple of Megs to Gigs. To be specific it takes a while for me to download a 4GB file and I have to do multiple edits to the same file.

So what happens when I open the file is that all WINSCP sessions are locked until that file is downloaded and some files take anywhere between 20-30 min to an hour sometimes. So this would be a nice to have to push the large files to a background process that will not interfere with one working in a session. I am not sure if moving the background process to it's own process thread would solve this?

These are files I don't usually keep open in my editor(notepad++) and I am usually openining them for the first time to research an issue.

Regards

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum