Running winscp3 from command line with options

Advertisement

mapcruse

Running winscp3 from command line with options

Hello,
I would like to be able to launch WinSCP3 from the command prompt with some options. What I am trying to do is launch the application so that it already knows the IP of the machine. Here is what I have tried:

* WinSCP3.exe WinSCP3.exe [(IP)://]hostname[:22]
* WinSCP3.exe [(hostname)://]IP[:22]

I need to be able to launch it so when I enter the FQDN in the host field, it already knows its IP, thus eliminating any DNS resolution issue. Thanks,
Mapping

Advertisement

mapcruse

Re: Running winscp3 from command line with options

Thanks, that close but when I launch WinSCP I need the hostname field to be populated with the hostname and it to already know what IP it is associated with.

From the command line can I execute it with your recommendation along with the hostname? So it would have been defined with host and IP.
Thanks,

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

mapcruse wrote:

Thanks, that close but when I launch WinSCP I need the hostname field to be populated with the hostname and it to already know what IP it is associated with.
Sorry, I have no idea what you mean. If you provide the IP address what for you need a hostname? Once WinSCP connects using the IP address it does not need the hostname anymore.

mapcruse

I understand once it knows the IP it is fine, I am trying to use this application with another application.

The other application has difficulties resoloving hostnames, but works with IP address. So I would like to launch WinSCP with both the IP and hostname, then the user can just enter the hostname into the field and login successfully. I hope this helps.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

mapcruse wrote:

The other application has difficulties resoloving hostnames, but works with IP address. So I would like to launch WinSCP with both the IP and hostname, then the user can just enter the hostname into the field and login successfully. I hope this helps.
No it does not. I still do not understand. Sorry. :-(

Either pass the IP from the other application to WinSCP. And you do not need the hostname.

Or let the user enter hostname. And you do not need the IP.

I still do not understand why you need both.

mapcruse

I am trying to pass winscp though an additional application before I can even use winscp. This additional application is used as a "portal page" and will have additional applicatoins on it, one app is WinSCP. Unfortuantely the applicaiton only knows IP's, not hostname. I am curious to know if I can pass both the IP and hostname from a command line so that when WinSCP launches it already has the hostname filled and at the same time knows its IP.

The application that that is trying to pass the proper name/IP only knows IP. I am trying to make it so that the user is able to enter the hostname instead of the IP.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

mapcruse wrote:

I am curious to know if I can pass both the IP and hostname from a command line so that when WinSCP launches it already has the hostname filled and at the same time knows its IP.
What for???? Sorry, either I'm dumb or you are not explaining me what you need. Where do you need a hostname to be filled? I really have no idea what you mean. Do you mean host box on the login dialog? Isn't IP address enough?

The application that that is trying to pass the proper name/IP only knows IP. I am trying to make it so that the user is able to enter the hostname instead of the IP.
If the application passes IP to WinSCP, why do you need hostname to be entered by user? If you need hostname, why do you pass IP at all?

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum