To use WinSCP with your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, you need to have OpenSSH installed on it. You can get it installed for example by:
- Jailbreaking your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad;
- Installing OpenSSH with Cydia (in network section) or Installer.app.
To connect, specify on WinSCP Login dialog:
- IP address of your iOS device into Host name (You will find the IP address, if you go to yours iPhone/iPod Touch menu Settings > Wi-Fi and choose the network you are using);
rootinto User name;
dottie(depends on firmware version) into Password;
- You may need to set longer Server response timeout on Connection page of Advanced Site Settings dialog (use Advanced button to open the dialog);
- Keep default SFTP File protocol;
- Click Login.
Note that when connecting via WI-FI it is recommended to turn off auto-lock as WI-FI connection gets interrupted when device locks. To turn off auto-lock go to Settings > General > Auto-lock.
If you need more detailed description follow to:
- Windows Guide To Using WinSCP With iPhone article on Limited Edition iPhone;
- How to Use SSH to Transfer File on iPhone on simonblog.com;
- Jailbreak on en.wikipedia.org;
- iPhone and iPod Touch One Step Jailbreak (for installing the BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH services) and How To Install iPhone Apps on Your iPod Touch (for connecting) on youtube.com.
If you are having problems connecting, check list of common error messages.
Once you connect, you may wonder how to do ... on iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad?