This is an old revision of the document!
- Workaround for OpenSSH SFTP server bug that caused all file modification timestamps older than 1970 be interpreted as timestamps after 2038.
- Current directory can be changed by pasting (
Ctrl+Vor File > Paste) path from clipboard.
- Small improvements for bi-directional languages.
- Key exchange tab of Login dialog is disabled for SSH1-only.
- Improved debug logging.
- Bug fix: In 3.7.3 the Synchronize dialog failed to open in non-English versions.
- Bug fix: SCP uploads sometime timed out.
- http://winscp.net/ points directly to this site.
- Function Keep remote directory up to date now can watch for up to 500 directories (62 previously).
- Allowed downloads to UNC paths.
- When logging is enabled and several sessions (including background transfer connections) are opened at a time, several log files are generated.
- Exit code is propagated to console interface tool,
- GUI application,
WinSCP3.exe, waits until user pressed any key before exit, when run with
- When focused control (like directory tree) is hidden, focus is moved to the last used file panel.
- Default (installation) size of the Norton Commander interface is larger, if the screen resolution allows it.
- Log file includes timestamps of all events.
- Bug fix: Crash when using Proxy with Do DNS name lookup at proxy end enabled.
- Bug fix: Upload hangs on empty (0 bytes) files (SFTP only).
- Bug fix: Command File Names > Copy to Clipboard have not worked correctly.
- Bug fix: The last toolbar in a toolbar row is not restored incorrectly right-aligned anymore.
- Bug fix: WinSCP now restores window size correctly even when it was closed very small.
- Bug fix: Hangs and other problems when showing control (like queue view) that was previously hidden larger then current window size.
- Bug fix: Rekey time limit could not be set to zero (to disable time-based rekey).
- Scripting commands
- SSH core upgraded to the latest development snapshot of Putty (2005-01-28). It brings following changes:
- New Key exchange tab on Login dialog. It allows configuration of key exchange algorithm selection policy. It also include options to configure regular key re-exchanged based on time and data transfered.
- Support for IPv6 (unfix.org’s IPv6 patches up to level 10). IP protocol version can be configured on Connection tab of Login dialog.
- Removed bug Chokes on Diffie-Hellman group exchange from Bugs tab.
- Fixed key exchange problems with some servers.
- Software version strings for adhere to SSH standard.
- Fixed some potential crashes.
- Support for diffie-hellman-group14-sha1 group exchange .
- Keyboard-interactive authentication is offered as long as server offers it, rather than only once, unless the server responds to our initial request with failure.
- Support for ssh.com “firstname.lastname@example.org” authentication.
- SFTP protocol optimalisation, especially for dealing with very small files and directories and when transfering over very fast connections. Downloads, uploads and directory listings now take up to 80%, 80% and 40% less time, respectively. Please report your personal experiences with the change, positive or negative.
- Implemented support for editors that open multiple file in one process (window).
- WinSCP can delay deletion of temporary local file until its exit. This is allowed only if Allow multiple opened files (editors) is enabled.
- The behaviour can be turned on using option External editor opens multiple files in one window (process) (off by default).
- If the option if disabled and the editor closes too early, WinSCP suggests user to enable the option.
- When switching sessions, the panel state can be optionally preserved, including selected file and sort column/order. To disable this, go to Panels tab of Preferences dialog. Option Do not change local directory when switching sessions on Commands tab renamed to Do not change state of local panel when switching sessions and now affects this feature too.
- When INI file is used as configuration storage, SSH host key cache is stored into the INI file too.
- Transfer queue shows transfer speed and elapsed time.
- With SFTP it is now possible to enter the traverse-only (
chmod 110) directories.
- Menu Files > File Names includes new command Copy URL to Clipboard. The URL format is:
- WinSCP now detects dropped connection immediatelly. It also responds to server keepalive requests immediately (
- It is possible to edit remote files whose filenames contain characters not allowed on Windows.
- Inline rename box on remote panel now accepts characters not allowed on Windows, but allowed on other systems.
- Window server/protocol information shows server host key fingerprint.
- New SFTP tab on session dialog. It contains configuration options for detection of two known bugs in SFTP servers. The first bug Reverses order of symlink command arguments is known on all OpenSSH servers. The second bug Does not use UTF-8 for SFTP4 and newer is known on Foxit WAC server.
- When overwritting local read-only file, the read-only attribute is preserved.
- It is now possible to overwrite local hidden file (the attribute is preserved).
- When changing local drive using drive drop down menu the current working directory on the drive is opened instead of root directory (Norton Commander interface only).
- Partially transferred files (
.filepart) have the same icon as full file would have with “partial file” overlay over it.
- It is possible to change width of session drop down menu on Session toolbar. Just drag the empty space on the right of the drop down menu.
- Queue sessions are kept alive if the main session is configured so. As side effect dropped connection is detected immediately (no error is displayed), not only after there is transfer attempt over it. It avoids failing transfer just because of dropped connection.
- When secondary shell session is dropped on background, no error is displayed and the main session is no longer closed.
- If the edited file is saved while the previous change is still being uploaded, the error is no longer displayed, re-upload is scheduled instead.
- Language button on Login dialog includes Get More command to open translation download page.
- Menu File Names is included in remote panel context menu too.
- The command Files > Open opens the remote file locally always. It does not imitate double-clicking anymore (when symbolic link resolving is not enabled/supported, double-click tries to open remote file as if it were symlink to directory).
- Internal editor shows name of the session in the window title.
- File panel scrolls whole page when visualising batch operation progress.
- File panel reflects change of system icon font in run time.
- The same remote file cannot be edited twice.
- If reading directory takes too long, number of files read is shown on WinSCP button on taskbar.
- Several changes in installer:
- When installer finds obsolete default translation in the installation directory, it displays a warning with option to delete the translation.
- Bug fix: Removed flags: unchecked string from the Add installation directory to search path checkbox.
- Bug fix: Last few characters of long lines were cut off.
- Proxy password box is disabled for SOCK4 proxies, as SOCK4 does not support passwords.
- When transferring files using scripting commands
put, without explictly specifing operation mask, the mask
*.*is used, overriding default operation mask set in GUI.
- Wildcards in operation mask (
?) can be delimited using backslash (
- It is no longer possible to check Disconnect when operation finishes during total transfer size calculation before file transfer.
- Leading and trailing spaces are trimmed from host and user names.
- Bug fix: Scripting command
lshas never shown year when full file timestamp was known. Now it shows full timestamp (including year and full precision time).
- Bug fix: WinSCP crashed when timeout message was shown while reading directory content.
- Bug fix: Scripting command
getwith SCP protocol printed downloaded directory twice, the second time with statistics of the last file downloaded.
- Bug fix: Fixed several bugs when downloading files for which the server incorrectly reports unreasonable file sizes.
- Bug fix: WinSCP refused to start, when using
/iniparameter without session name parameter.
- Bug fix: The download of files smaller then 4 kB could not be interrupted.
- Bug fix: Attempt to open non-existing local directory (Norton Commander interface only) have not displayed any error message. The first existing parent directory (if any) was opened instead.
- Bug fix: When downloading file to editor, Exclude mask and operation mask were not ignored, what prevented editing some files.
- Bug fix: When using
--full-timeoption (SCP protocol) the leading spaces in the filenames were omitted while reading directory.
- Bug fix: Time estimated showed incorrect values for resumed file transfers.
- Bug fix: When downloading file with SCP protocol, any leading spaces in the filename were lost.
- Bug fix: Possible crashes when having more sessions opened in parallel.
- Bug fix: When using INI file as configuration storage, the quotes enclosing configuration options (particularly path to Putty executable) were lost.
- Bug fix: Directory was randomly selected in remote panel when switching sessions.
- Bug fix: When upgrading from 3.7 and older, command Open in Putty stopped working if path to Putty included spaces.
- Bug fix: Items in queue display menu may have been sometime disabled.
- Bug fix: When uploading, the contents of selected directories was counted twice into “total size”, making progress indicator inaccurate.
- Bug fix: When restoring maximised main window it was sometime wider than before maximisation.
- Bug fix: Fake “Ext” column could be shown by mistake.
- SSH core upgraded to PuTTY 0.56. It brings following changes:
- Security fix: the vulnerability reported by iDEFENSE is fixed. See details.
- Several other changes.
- Added support for UTF-8 encoded filenames for SFTP protocol version 4 and newer.
- WinSCP returns exit code 1, when any command in console mode is interupted due to an error or any prompt is answered Abort (even automatically in batch-mode).
- Setup application can add WinSCP installation folder to search path (
%PATH%). Thanks to Marco Barisione for his
- New upload option Clear source file ‘Archive’ flag.
- Command Open in PuTTY can optionally send password to PuTTY. When the option is on, the password must be kept in memory.
- Usage of option
--full-timewith LS command is configurable (SCP only).
- When the server does not support resolving symbolic links (SFTP version 2 and older), the double-click on regular file (possibly symlink) makes WinSCP try to open directory with the same name.
- Removed no longer useful button Retry from “timeout” message.
- Warning is shown when user stores session with filled password.
%XXin URLs are decoded. Plus sign (
+) is converted to space.
- New option to swap panels in Norton Commander interface.
- When LS command does not list anything, error messages are shown even if Ignore LS warning option is turned on (SCP only).
- Added command Create directory to context menu of file panels.
- Solved all compiler warnings when compiling WinSCP using makefile.
- Bug fix: When SFTP server incorrectly replied with packet
SSH_FXP_STATUSwith “success” status, WinSCP tried to decode the packet as if it were packet of expected type in some cases.
- Bug fix: Backspace changed to parent directory even during in-place renaming of file.
- Bug fix: Missing quote in sample custom command File Compare.
- Bug fix: Keyboard shortcuts for file selection (
Grey */+/-) do not beep anymore.
- Bug fix:
Ctrl+Con message dialog has omited some new lines.
- Other small changes and fixes.
- Custom commands enhanced:
- New pattern !& for remote commands to insert space separated list of selected files. Only one command per selection is executed. The pattern cannot be combined with pattern !. Sample command “Tar/GZip” now uses the pattern as well as new sample command “Grep”.
- New option “Show results in terminal”. Used by new sample command “Grep”.
- Custom commands can be executed locally on temporarily downloaded files.
- Local custom commands can be executed on pairs of remote (temporarily downloaded) and local files (Norton Commander interface only). New sample command “File compare” uses the option. Replace simple “fc” command with your favourite diff tool.
- New command-line parameters /synchronize and /keepuptodate. Both have two optional arguments for local and remote directory. If parameter is preceded by stored session name, it is opened automatically. Otherwise login dialog is shown.
- For SCP protocol the directory is read with --full-time option to get second-precision timestamp (necessary for synchronisation). When the reading of the first directory fails (for whatever reason), the directory is reloded without the option and the option will no longer be used. Next version will include option to control the behaviour manually.
- “Host hasn’t answered for X seconds” message disappers itself once the response finally arrives.
- WinSCP can be now compiled using Personal edition of Borland C++Builder 6.
- New browsing shortcuts:
- Alt-Left and Alt-Rigth to browse backward and forward.
- Back/forward buttons on some mouses supported (Microsoft Intellipoint particularly).
- Support for Back, Forward, Reload, Home and Favorities buttons on multimedia-keyboards.
- SSH core upgraded to current development snapshot of PuTTY. It brings following changes:
- Support for CHAP (digest-based) authentication when talking to SOCKS 5 proxies. Configures itself transparently (if the proxy offers CHAP it will use it, otherwise it falls back to ordinary cleartext passwords).
- Negotiated SSH-2 MAC algorithm(s) are mentioned in the Event Log.
- OSU_1.5alpha4 added to list of known servers with bug “Chokes on SSH1 ignore messages”. Now it is possible to login to the server with the respective bug-option set to default value “Auto”.
- Several other bug fixes.
- Bookmarks and location profiles changes:
- Buttons to switch between bookmark and location profile modes.
- Local path box has history drop-down.
- Reordering bug fixed.
- Support for “dd mmm yyyy” format of “ls” command output (for example Mac OS X 10.3 Panther).
- With SCP protocol -p option is used with “cp” command to preserve attributes when duplicating files.
- Parameter /help shows command-line option overview.
- For entering the initial remote directory the directory changes cache is not used to guarantee that the initial directory really exists on the server.
- New popup menu for blank space on file panels with some common directory commands (reload, etc.).
- Directory tree node automatically expands itself when selected.
- Direction switch on synchronisation dialog separated from other options to emphasise that its state is not stored, when “Use same settings next time” is checked.
- Button “Cancel” on “Cleanup application data” dialog renamed to “Close”, so, when invoked during uninstallation, it does not make impression that it cancels the whole process.
- Fixed bug in SCP protocol “dummy command” keepaliave mode.
- Bug fix: If the option “Preview changes” was stored in preferences for “Synchronize” command, it affected incorrectly the “Keep up to date” command too.
- Bug fix: When uploading using drag&drop, confirmation was required even when it was turned of.
- Bug fix: For SFTP protocol, directory content cannot be read, if the server provides extended file attributes (e.g. IBM zOS).
- Bug fix: Backslash in username caused bookmarks not to load.
- Bug fix: Refresh command on disconnected session aborted the application.
- Bug fix: On Windows XP the keyboard accelerators as well as focus rectangles and similar were not shown sometime. On the other hand, the system-wide option “Hide keyboard navigation indicators until I use the Alt key” is now ignored.
- Bug fix: For SCP protocol, after cached directory change to no-longer existing directory, the file panel preserved its previous contents.
- Bug fix: Initial state for “Use the same settings next time” check on Synchronize dialog was undefined.
- Bug fix: When creation of local directory failed, no error message was displayed.
- Bug fix: When download using drag&drop in “Temporary directory” mode finished while the computer desktop was locked, the download failed, and it was no longer possible to use drag&drop.
- New function to duplicate remote files. Implemented natively only for SCP protocol as SFTP does not have the functionality. With SFTP the command can open secondary shell session, like with Open Terminal (and other functions), to perform the duplication.
- Function to create new file and open it in default editor.
- Remote recycle bin may be configured for session. Deleted and overwritten files may be optionally moved to defined remote directory.
- During synchronisation user may optionally request confirmation before each change.
- Path label above file panel is now click-able. User may click on any part of the path to enter that directory (Norton-Commander interface only).
- Size of the translation files reduced by 40% (more than 200 kB each).
- New filename modification option: lower case only DOS names (8.3).
- On startup program checks for obsolete temporary folders. If it finds any, it offers user their deletion. Obsolete directories maybe also deleted manually from Cleanup window (see Tools button on Stored session tab of Login window).
- Confirmation option “Exiting application on operation completion” affects now also, whether confirmation is shown once upload invoked using Explorer’s “Send to” menu is finished.
- When importing stored sessions from Putty, default values are used for options not set by Putty (like transfer protocol).
- In file panel, when horizontal scroll bar is hidden, left and right arrow keys moves selection to first and last file respectively (Norton-Commander interface only).
- Bug fix: With some specific devices, prompt to insert media was shown just before the main windows of application was displayed (Norton-Commander interface only).
- Bug fix: The check for obsolete default translation files failed to display complete error message when the translation file was really very old.
- Bug fix: When drive (like USB memory stick) was attached or detached the local directory tree was not refreshed, making the new drive inaccesible from local panel (Norton-Commander interface only).
- Bug fix: Remote path history was corrupted, when directory was changed using directory tree.
- Bug fix: Assertion error in attempt to use “Desktop” or “My documents” in local path drop-down menu.
- Bug fix: Under specific circumstances application failed when closed, while having some editors still opened.
- Bug fix: Error message was shown in infinite loop, when error occured in attempt to open file in an external editor.
- Bug fix: Small problems with Kerberos authentication.
- Bug fix: Local recycle bin could not be left using “..” link (Norton-Commander interface only).
- Bug fix: Setup failed to detect that the application is running during upgrade.