You may get this message when connecting to a server for following reasons:
- You may have typed a wrong hostname on Login dialog.
- Your domain name is new and is not fully distributed to DNS servers yet.
- Connection was blocked by firewall. Please refer to FAQ.
- Problem with DNS server.
- Common mistake is to enter full URL (e.g.
ftp://ftp.example.com) as hostname on Login dialog instead of actual hostname (e.g.
- In scripting, you may get this error when using
open site_namesyntax in an environment, where stored site
site_namedoes not exist. The
site_namewill then be used as a hostname instead. See Why WinSCP does not work in a new environment (operating system, machine, user account, network), when it works for me in a different environment already?
- Server IPv6 address might by misconfigured. Try forcing IPv4 in Internet protocol version session settings.