• Version of WinSCP you are using (you should be using the latest version if possible).
o Version 5.17.9
• If the problem started to occur after upgrade, mention the last version of WinSCP which was working for you.1
o Stopped working after requirement for upgrade was ignored. Upgrade to 5.17.9 did not help
• Version of Microsoft Windows you are running WinSCP on.
o Windows10 version 1909
• Transfer protocol (SFTP, FTP, SCP, WebDAV or S3).
• Mention if you use GUI or scripting/automation. If you use GUI, specify interface style you are using (Commander or Explorer).
o GUI commander
• If you experience an error, include full error message. You may use Ctrl+C to copy the message, then paste it (Ctrl+V) to the post. Also check list of common error messages.
o File or folder does not exist.
o System Error. Code: 1251.
o This operation is supported only when you are connected to the server
• Try to describe precise steps that lead to the problem (where do you click, what keys do you press, what do you see, etc.). If you are not able to reproduce the problem with the steps, it is probably not worth to report it as I will not be able to reproduce it (and solve) too.
Particularly, if the problem relates to user interface, consider recording your steps or even full video. E.g. using Steps Recorder in Windows 7 or newer2 or Start recording function of Game bar in Windows 103 or Recordit or similar service.
o Drag and drop file from local to remote server – connected to remote server by same setting that have worked for over two years.
• If your problems relates to interaction with remote server, please post a full log file showing the problem.
o No log on remote server created, as file is not transferred.
• To generate log file, enable session logging, log in to your server and do the operation and only the operation that causes the error.
Always attach your log to the post as a file, never paste the log into post text. When posting extensive logs please compress them before attaching.
Note that passwords and passphrases are not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem).
If you do not want to post the log publicly, you can mark the attachment as private.
• For scripting/automation-related issues, include your full script, command-line you use to run WinSCP, and output you see on WinSCP console.
Any suggesting on how to correct error code 1251 would be helpful.