WinSCP V5.19.5 Synchronizing zip files in general only works in first attempt.

Advertisement

ste

WinSCP V5.19.5 Synchronizing zip files in general only works in first attempt.

I'm facing the above problem when I make a
open sftp://servername
synchronize remote -preservetime -mirror -delete \\SOURCE\C$\MDT /
It works perfectly the first time. The second time it fails. It seems that WinSCP is somehow unpacking the zip file catalog on the target and then try to delete it because it's not available on the source. If I rename the same file to .7s (7-zip) it works fine.

I've tried to make just an ordinary notepad file as .zip, then WinSCP says it's not valid. Seems to me that WinSCP actively tends to do something with zip files.

How to avoid this? Or is it simply a bug?
I've tried this in 2 completely different scenarios. I've disabled the Virus scanner in both environments.

I've attached the error message I get running the scripts the second time as well as the scripts.

Error_message.png

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP V5.19.5 Synchronizing zip files in general only works in first attempt.

WinSCP does not extract ZIP files. It's most likely a feature of your server.

If the auto-extracted ZIP files have consistent naming scheme .zip.folder, you can try to exclude those auto-extracted folders from the synchronization:
synchronize remote -filemask=|*.zip.folder/ -preservetime -mirror -delete \\SOURCE\C$\MDT /

Re: WinSCP V5.19.5 Synchronizing zip files in general only works in first attempt.

Hi Martin. Thanks for Your reply.
I seriously doubt that a Windows feature is the reason. 1. If I rename the file to *.7s(7-zip) it works just fine. 2. If I just make a dummy(invalid) zip file with notepad WinSCP complains and tell that it's an invalid zip file. Guess it wouldn't tell that unless it actively tries to unpack the file?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

If I just make a dummy(invalid) zip file with notepad WinSCP complains and tell that it's an invalid zip file. Guess it wouldn't tell that unless it actively tries to unpack the file?
Are you sure, it's WinSCP that is complaining? Isn't it the server? Technically, there's even no way for WinSCP to extract ZIP file on a server. There's no API for that.
Please post session log file for this scenario.

ste

WinScp V5.19.5 Synchronizing zip files in generel only works in first attempt.

Hi Martin.

Thanks for responding.
I've attached the requested logfile. I would be surprized if it turns up that it should be Windows itself opening the zip file. But You could of course be right.

What I did........In first attempt I synchronized the test2.zip to an empty folder. Which works perfect. Then I've tried the second time. And then the annoying issue showed up.

I tried afterwards just to do a XCOPY of the same file twice. Just for testing if Windows interacts with it. It just went through.

Anyway it would just be nice to figure out what's causing this.
Best Regards
  • SyncMDT.log (21.1 KB, Private file)

Advertisement

ste

WinScp V5.19.5 Synchronizing zip files in generel only works in first attempt.

Hi Martin,

Please close the case. I figured it out. I use CompleteFTP V21.1.0 as my SFTP server.
This software has a feature called "Zip-File Navigation". If I turn it of it just works fine as expected.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

BR

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinScp V5.19.5 Synchronizing zip files in generel only works in first attempt.

Thanks for sharing your findings.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum