Topic "Network error: Software caused connection abort"

rockinghorse2

Hello,

I am getting this error:

"Network error: Software caused connection abort"

when trying to remote into my Linux machine from my Windows XP one today. Nothing has changed on my end since I last came in (last week). All of the sudden I can't log into the Linux computer (and I need to) through WinSCP or Putty.

Does anyone know why this is? I've searched alot, but only found answers regarding iPhones etc...

Obviously I do not have Windows Firewall on, and like I said, have made no changes since I last used the computer last week.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Advertisements
rockinghorse2

just wanted to add, when I do ifconfig on my Linux computer it shows the correct ipaddress within my network. Both of the computers are sitting right here and connected through a netgear router to the rest of our network.

Also I get the same error message for both WinSCP and Putty, it comes up right away after trying to log in.
rockinghorse2

also, I am able to access the internet on both computers and ping both computers from one another with no loss.

On a side note, does anyone know how I can edit my original post instead of posting continuous replies? Thanks!
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Have you read
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/message_software_caused_connection_abort ?

hi prikiyl,

Yes, this was the first place I consulted. However, I am not running any firewalls or keepalives. Like I said, it worked fine one day and stopped working the next (without me changing anything).

Thanks!
rockinghorse2

Hi everyone,

In case some poor soul comes across this problem in the future, I was able to fix this problem by restarting my SSH service on the remote server machine (the linux one). I noticed that when I was restarting it, it kept giving me messages about ssh rsa key and dsa keys not having the right permissions or something, so I had to individually chmod to the right permissions. Not sure how this happened within 1 week as the computer isn't touched at all, but computers will be computers something always goes wrong without user doing anything or even being in the office for a whole week.

So if this happens to you, try restarting the SSH service. Might seem obvious to pro users, but to n00bs like me I didn't even know SSH had a service that was running.

Thanks!
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
rockinghorse2 wrote:
In case some poor soul comes across this problem in the future, I was able to fix this problem by restarting my SSH service on the remote server machine (the linux one). I noticed that when I was restarting it, it kept giving me messages about ssh rsa key and dsa keys not having the right permissions or something, so I had to individually chmod to the right permissions. Not sure how this happened within 1 week as the computer isn't touched at all, but computers will be computers something always goes wrong without user doing anything or even being in the office for a whole week.

Thanks for sharing your solution!

Hello,
I check all in this url : https://winscp.net/eng/docs/message_software_caused_connection_abort

The firewall is disabled, i have a static ip adress, I am in a ssis job, I not have ssh service to restart. Everything work fine since 3 days, nothing change in the configuration of my server.

Somebody had another solution????
G.D.Z.

guest_mik wrote:
Hello,
I check all in this url : https://winscp.net/eng/docs/message_software_caused_connection_abort

The firewall is disabled, i have a static ip adress, I am in a ssis job, I not have ssh service to restart. Everything work fine since 3 days, nothing change in the configuration of my server.

Somebody had another solution????

Hi!
Did you solve the problem? If yes, how?
I have the same problem...
Cheers,
GP
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License