WinSCP FTPing ZERO byte files

Advertisement

PrateekG

Hi,

I am facing an issue where WinSCP FTPs zero byte file out of many files it transfers successfully. What I mean is if WinSCP is transferring 20 files in a run, out of that 1 or 2 files are sometimes of zero bytes.

I have compared the logs for successful transfer of file and zero byte transfer of file and got some difference but not able to deduce any conclusion from that.

We have implemented a script where it FTPs all the files from a specific folder every 30 mins.

I am attaching the logs for reference. Your help in resolving this issue will be highly appriciated.

Regards,
Prateek

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP FTPing ZERO byte files

Thanks for your report.
I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to address you have used to register on this forum.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Thanks. Though I'd appreciate some comment to the logs. Why they are two? I can see two transfers in each log, neither seem to be zero-sized. Can you name the file that you believe was zero-sized?

PrateekG

Hello Martin,

RTLOG_01005_20130710135202.DAT file came as zero byte. I got the reference of this file in 2 trace logs so I have uploaded both of them.

Regards,
Prateek

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

I do not see the same pattern in these logs as in the RTLOG_Zero_byte.txt from your first post. In your first post, I could definitely see that no9 data were sent, while in this case the transfer looks normal in all the transfer of the file you refer to.
Can you please send me single debug log as well as matching session log for a single zero-byte transfer, as you did in your first post?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

From the session log, I can see that you have two processes/sessions uploading the very same file to the very same folder on the same server. This is likely a cause of your problems.

PrateekG

Hello Martin,

I am posting the WinSCP script I am using to FTP the files to server. I am facing few issues while using this script:
1. Zero byte files getting transferred to server
2. Incomplete files getting transferred to server
3. Files getting missed out during transfer

Can you suggest the measures/improvements I can do in this script to eliminate/reduce these issues?

Regards,
Prateek

Advertisement

Frank.You

Hello Martin,
I have Got the same problem(Files transed successfully,but transed file size is ZERO) with FTPs and Proxy (use GUI).
WinSCP Version:WinSCP 5.1.6
OS Version:Windows Server 2003 SP2

Expect your reply,

Regards,

Frank.
Description: Trans Txt File Log

PrateekG

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the inputs. We are working over this and if successful will share the results on the forum.

Also, previously you have told that zero byte files are getting transferred due to multiple WinSCP sessions are running. That helped us resolving our issue. We have tested and were able to reproduce the same scenario. As we were using a temporary file to store the names of the files that were required to be FTPed, and all winscp sessions were using the same temporary file, files were missing and transferred as zero byte.

Regards,
Prateek

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Frank.You wrote:

I have Got the same problem(Files transed successfully,but transed file size is ZERO) with FTPs and Proxy (use GUI).
Please start a new thread as this seem like a completely different problem to this topic.
Also please share more details, like
Does it happen every time? Certain files only? For certain transfer modes only (ascii/binary)? With proxy only? With SSL only? Upload/download only? Completely randomly?
Please post a log file using the latest 5.2.x beta.

Advertisement

Frank.You

martin wrote:

Frank.You wrote:

Please start a new thread as this seem like a completely different problem to this topic.
Also please share more details, like
Does it happen every time? Certain files only? For certain transfer modes only (ascii/binary)? With proxy only? With SSL only? Upload/download only? Completely randomly?
Please post a log file using the latest 5.2.x beta.

Hi Martin,
I posted two log files(one use proxy and another use none proxy),
---------------------------------
File Protocal:FTP
Encryption:SSL Explicit encryption
Proxy Type:SOCKET5
WinSCP Version:WinSCP 5.2.2
OS Version:Windows Server 2008 R2
---------------------------------

with proxy via SSL,the .txt file can be uploaded successfully ,but the file size is ZERO(local .txt file size is very small);

with proxy via SSL,the .txt file can be uploaded successfully , the file size > ZERO(local .txt file size is big);

with none proxy via SSL, everything is ok.

I have compared the two log file,I found that with proxy the log file exist a log-line :"Error retrieving server address, cannot test if address is routable",but another log file not exist.

TEST:
Use proxy
1.when the .txt file size is 4K, uploaded to FTP server size be showed ZERO;
2.when the .txt file size is 49K,uploaded to FTP server size > ZERO;

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Frank
Description: Log with none proxy.
Description: Log with socket5 proxy.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP FTPing ZERO byte files

So, again. I've asked "Frank.You" already to start a new topic. Please do.

The same for "fgiorgio", as in his case it's SFTP and no proxy, so again completely irrelevant.
And I would need the same answers I asked "Frank.You" for.

Thanks..

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum