Directory comparison settings are not being saved

Advertisement

theplague

Directory comparison settings are not being saved

Fresh install on a Windows 8.1 PC, tried running as Administrator but didn't work, I switched the storage to INI and edited the settings manually:

CompareByTime=0
CompareBySize=1

Ps: WinSCP does not have user rights to write on it's installation folder or at least the INI file that it creates so I had to manually assign the permission.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Directory comparison settings are not being saved

Did you check Use same options next time on Synchronize dialog?

Regarding permissions to INI file: If you were running WinSCP as Administrator when switching to INI file, WinSCP created the INI file in the same directory where winscp.exe is, because it had write access there. Obviously after you switched back to normal user, it did not have write access anymore. Had you switched to INI file while running without Administrator privileges, it would have never tried to create INI file in an installation folder. It would use user profile folder instead.

theplague

martin wrote:

Did you check Use same options next time on Synchronize dialog?

I changed the option under the general options dialog, not under the Synchronize dialog, in fact I tried changing it even before connecting to the ftp site but it just wouldn't save. As of the option under the Synchronize dialog it does save correctly when that check box is marked, I didn't have any trouble with that.

martin wrote:

Regarding permissions to INI file: If you were running WinSCP as Administrator when switching to INI file, WinSCP created the INI file in the same directory where winscp.exe is, because it had write access there. Obviously after you switched back to normal user, it did not have write access anymore. Had you switched to INI file while running without Administrator privileges, it would have never tried to create INI file in an installation folder. It would use user profile folder instead.

Not quite right, I was running always without admin privileges and when I tried to switch the storage to INI the program said it couldn't write to the folder and that's when I restarted with admin rights so it could create the file and accept the changes, after that of course I had to give regular user rights on the INI file so I wouldn't need to run as admin all the time.

Thanks.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

theplague wrote:

I changed the option under the general options dialog, not under the Synchronize dialog, in fact I tried changing it even before connecting to the ftp site but it just wouldn't save. As of the option under the Synchronize dialog it does save correctly when that check box is marked, I didn't have any trouble with that.
Ok, I understand now.
Added to tracker:
https://winscp.net/tracker/1110

Not quite right, I was running always without admin privileges and when I tried to switch the storage to INI the program said it couldn't write to the folder and that's when I restarted with admin rights so it could create the file and accept the changes, after that of course I had to give regular user rights on the INI file so I wouldn't need to run as admin all the time.
What version of WinSCP are you using?

theplague

martin wrote:

theplague wrote:

Ok, I understand now.
Added to tracker:
https://winscp.net/tracker/1110

What version of WinSCP are you using?

Thank you.

Advertisement

theplague

martin wrote:

When you are running WinSCP 5.5 in registry mode as non-admin user, what INI file path do you see on Storage page of Preferences dialog?
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_pref_storage

I opened it up normally, switched the storage to Registry, closed it, opened again normally and the path still said:

C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP\WinSCP.ini

I just want to point out that it works now after the tweaks I did however when I first installed it wouldn't save, I appreciate your effort on getting this sorted out.
Thank you

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

theplague wrote:

I opened it up normally, switched the storage to Registry, closed it, opened again normally and the path still said:

I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to address you have used to register on this forum.

theplague

martin wrote:

theplague wrote:

I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to address you have used to register on this forum.

Hi prikryl, I tested the debug build and it fixes the problem, changing the comparison settings now get saved when I OK the dialog.
Thanks

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

theplague wrote:

Hi prikryl, I tested the debug build and it fixes the problem, changing the comparison settings now get saved when I OK the dialog.
Thanks
But I'm interested in the INI file path problem. Please send me the logs.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum