Topic "Setup can't create "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP""

Author Message
jaymax36
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2015-03-24
Posts: 4
Location: Calif.
Win 8.x platform:
WinSCP 5.7.4 became unstable - frequent re-connections required.
Decided to upgrade to v. 5.7.5.
First attempt failed with the following ==>
Code:
---------------------------
Setup - WinSCP
---------------------------
Setup was unable to create the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP".
Error 5: Access is denied.
---------------------------
OK   
---------------------------

Deleted the 5.7.4. with the control panel, hoping for a clean install ==> the same results.

What is the solution?

Thanks!
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 25015
Location: Prague, Czechia
When you run the installer, do you get a "User Account Control" popup?
jaymax36
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2015-03-24
Posts: 4
Location: Calif.
Interesting question - The honest fact is that I do not know - was not observant enough. What I did was to install as another "administrator".
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 25015
Location: Prague, Czechia
jaymax36 wrote:
Interesting question - The honest fact is that I do not know - was not observant enough. What I did was to install as another "administrator".

Can you reproduce the problem?
jaymax36
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2015-03-24
Posts: 4
Location: Calif.
prikryl wrote:
jaymax36 wrote:
Interesting question - The honest fact is that I do not know - was not observant enough. What I did was to install as another "administrator".

Can you reproduce the problem?


I would have to clobber my existing installation with the other Administrator? Is it worth it? should I?
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 25015
Location: Prague, Czechia
jaymax36 wrote:
I would have to clobber my existing installation with the other Administrator? Is it worth it? should I?

Re-installing WinSCP does not break anything.
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum






Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License