Topic "windows explorer integration -> net drives"

donalfonso

something that could be interessant would be a full explorer integration to make net drives using sftp protocol
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
donalfonso wrote:
to make net drives using sftp protocol

What does this mean?

I think he is suggesting the same thing I want:

To be able to place a winscp bookmark in the "Network Places" part of the "My Computer" menu under Windows XP. For example:

ftp://user@host.domain.xx/home/directory

works but, we want something like:

winscp://user@host.domain.xx/home/directory

Thanks for thinking about it...
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Quote:
Thanks for thinking about it...

there's nothing to think about. I do not know how to do that. Considering that there is only one product only, I know of, that does it (Webdrive), it seems that it is terribly difficult to do anyway.

Even if its difficult - it would be a great improvement....
Ascoma

As far as I know Microsoft wants to get $$$ (20.000$ os something like that) for the right to create a Software, with this capability.

I may be wrong now (but I don't think so)

Regards,
Ascoma
Ree

I'm not sure what good a "net drive" would do. But what about a "Removable Device"?

It would be great to be able to mount a scp-connection as a hdd in windows. That way you could stream music/videos or edit documents without having to download them. (That way I don't have to transfer 20gb of mp3's to my computer at work).

How about it?
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Ree wrote:
I'm not sure what good a "net drive" would do. But what about a "Removable Device"?

What's the difference?

prikryl wrote:
Ree wrote:

What's the difference?

==for first, sorry for english - i'm from slovak Wink==

now I have the same problem like other.. I doing websites on servers but it supports only ssh and avery change in PHP scripts I must upload to server, if I have see change.

webdrive supports ftp, webdav and sftp... it doesn't support SCP-ssh.

net drive is perfect idea, but I know that is not your problem, but if you have plenty time - it would be perfect function.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
To close the discussion, I'm redirecting this to FAQ.

> Can I map SFTP or SCP server as a network
> drive in Windows?

> WinSCP does not allow this.

This is a pity.

It would be great if you could edit your Eclipse Java, C++ or PHP projects directly on the server.

Juergen
dmchan

Anonymous wrote:
> Can I map SFTP or SCP server as a network
> drive in Windows?

> WinSCP does not allow this.

This is a pity.

It would be great if you could edit your Eclipse Java, C++ or PHP projects directly on the server.

Juergen

We built SftpDrive so it can map an SFTP server to a network drive in Windows. We support Eclipse and Dreamweaver and, of course, Windows Explorer (among lots of other applications). It can also stream movies and music over SFTP (if your connection is fast enough). But we only support SFTP over SSH-2, not SCP over SSH-1.

I was surprised to hear that some people are only interested in SCP over SSH-1 support. I thought that SFTP was generally preferred, since even the WinSCP protocols page seems to prefer SFTP. Also, SSH.com (<invalid hyperlink removed by admin>) recommends dropping SSH-1 servers for security reasons. And all SSH-2 servers (including OpenSSH) all support SFTP by default.

Anyway, if you have an SSH-2 server, give it a whirl. Let me know if you like it.
Dave

SCP allows server side copy commands, that's why I think people want it's support rather than SFTP. Server side copy is very usefull for NAS's which has intenal and USB discs for example.
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License