This is not a call for help, just a bug report, something apparently didn't work as intended. Maybe you'll be interested in hearing about it.
I have on my (Windows 7) system WinScp 5.8.3 portable, in "c:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP". At first I had installed the "real" program in there with the installer, but as time passed, I found it more comfortable to use to just unpack in there the latest portable versions when new versions were published.
I discarded the update to 5.8.4.
Then came the notification that 5.9 was available, and I noticed the button proposing to upgrade at once. I thought, "hey, sure", and clicked it. I imagined it would trigger a download of the portable version, since it was written above that auto-updates were for donors only (which I am not.)
That triggered the launch of an updater program to 5.9, but:
- the updater program stalled, telling it couldn't terminate the process (while there were no winscp-anything processes at all, save the current setup program)
- that also killed explorer.exe, which I had to relaunch manually after I clicked "abandon" in the updater program.
No biggie of course, but things clearly didn't work as planned. Thought I might report it.
Have a nice day!