Topic "Error watching for changes of file - long file name - can I disable this feature"

bbrandt5
[View user's profile]

Hi everyone

When I try to open a file on the remote server through WinSCP (without copying it to a local directory first) I get the error

(Exception) Error watching for changes of file

I think this error is caused by the filepath being too long (the file is stored on a Linux machine with a very deep directory structure, see attache log file). I do this quite frequently so everytime I have to click away the error message. Is there a way I can disable the watching of files in the options? I looked but couldn't find anything.

Another suggestion: Instead of replicating the filepath in the temporary directory (which I think winscp tries to do) winscp could create a hash of the filepath and save the temporary file using that hash.

Or am I getting this all wrong and the cause is something entirely different?

Thanks

Benedikt
bbrandt6@novazohar-post1.pace.gatech.edu.log (3.27 KB) [Download]

Description: log file

martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
bbrandt5 wrote:
Another suggestion: Instead of replicating the filepath in the temporary directory (which I think winscp tries to do) winscp could create a hash of the filepath and save the temporary file using that hash.

You can turn this off in preferences (Append remote path to temporary path):
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_pref_storage
bbrandt5
[View user's profile]

Awesome, thanks a lot. That works! I really appreciate the fast response.
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License