Topic "Access FTp Server using SFTP client/protocol."

sumangeorge
[View user's profile]

I have to convert FTP code to SFTP in vb6. I am really new to it so have little idea.
So to get started i have few questions:
1.> Are FTP and SFTP servers different. I have a host name for eg. example.com, currently when we do FTP,URL is formed as ftp://example.com. So is this example.com,a FTP server or can we use it for SFTP also?

2.> If it's an FTP as well as SFTP server that's fine. But if not then will we require a new server or this FTP server can be converted to SFTP server?
martin◆
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Sorry, but this is too broad question and it's not about WinSCP actually.

To give you some starters.

FTP and SFTP server can be running on the same host (hostname). The actual server software can be the same (e.g. ProFTPD supports for FTP and SFTP) or different (e.g. OpenSSH for SFTP and IIS for FTP).

For more details, ask on an appropriate forum, like https://superuser.com/
sumangeorge
[View user's profile]

Thanks martin for the reply.

martin wrote:
Sorry, but this is too broad question and it's not about WinSCP actually.

To give you some starters.

FTP and SFTP server can be running on the same host (hostname). The actual server software can be the same (e.g. ProFTPD supports for FTP and SFTP) or different (e.g. OpenSSH for SFTP and IIS for FTP).

For more details, ask on an appropriate forum, like https://superuser.com/
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License