Topic "How to restore File Explorer as default FTP app. after WinSCO install."

Hi,
Prior to installing WinSCP I could open Windows File Explorer, type FTP://192.168.0.1 in address bar and immediately open an FTP folder-view (in Windows Explorer) on a locally attached device. Now, after installing WinSCP, on entering the "FTP://..." URL, a WinSCP login dialog opens and I'm required to enter a username and password before opening the WinSCP window.

I liked the convenience of staying in Windows Explorer for anonymous FTP (not SFTP) sessions.

I've tried to change the default app. - "Set Associations" -for "FTP" sessions but WinSCP is the only option.

Any help is appreciated!
Advertisements
martin◆
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
WinSCP should not override ftp:// registration of web browser. What version of Windows are you using? What version of WinSCP did you install?

martin wrote:
WinSCP should not override ftp:// registration of web browser. What version of Windows are you using? What version of WinSCP did you install?

This happened upon installation of WinSCP version 5.9.2 under Windows 7.
martin◆
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Sorry for my late response. It took me while to get a fresh copy of Windows 7 to test this.

Though I cannot reproduce the problem. WinSCP does not take over FTP protocol association on install om Windows Vista and newer. ftp:// URLs are still handled by Windows Explorer after WinSCP installation.

All I can imagine that your installation of Windows is somehow broken and there was no application associated with ftp://. On that moment, when the first application registers to be able to handle ftp://, it becomes automatically the associated application.
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License