Topic "Key password not stored after update"

glcp
[View user's profile]

Yesterday I've updated my old Winscp (5.5.1) to the latest stable version (5.9.6-Portable) deleting old ini file and creating new connection profiles from scratch.

The problem I noticed is that while with the previous version the private key password was stored and never asked when connecting to a server, now I have to enter the key password each time I establish a connection.

If I uncheck "Tools > Preferences > Security > Session password > Remember password for duration of session" option, an option to remember the key password is shown when connecting, but it's ignored each time I connect again.

Any suggestion for this issue is welcomed.
martin◆
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
There was a bug in some older versions of WinSCP, that made it using stored password as key passphrase. That was not intentional.

The bug was fixed.

See also https://winscp.net/eng/docs/faq_passphrase
glcp
[View user's profile]

Maybe a feature for key password storage can be added in the future Smile, even if it can pose a security risk.

Pageant is a solution, but it require to enter the key password at each reboot.

The problem is now solved by using a private key without password.

Thank you.
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License