WinSCP locked up in endless log file error dialog loop

Advertisement

RobCraig
Donor
Joined:
Posts:
4
Location:
California

WinSCP locked up in endless log file error dialog loop

WinSCP 5.13 (build 8172), Win XP Pro 64 SP 1

I turned on logging a few WinSCP sessions ago, and all was fine. Then this morning during file transfer from remote linux server, "Error occurred during logging. It's been turned off.", "System Error. Code: 32. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." I did not have the log file open, nor had I recently.

This dialog could be dismissed but it would pop up again immediately. I tried dismissing it several times, including holding down the ENTER key for a bit to dismiss it probably neart to a hundred times, and gave up. Eventually killed WinSCP with Process Explorer.

Reply with quote

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar
Joined:
Posts:
28,802
Location:
Prague, Czechia

Re: WinSCP locked up in endless log file error dialog loop

Thanks for your report. Can you reproduce the problem?

Reply with quote

RobCraig
Donor
Joined:
Posts:
4
Location:
California

Reproduce the problem?

Not yet, but I'll try. One note I forgot in my first post was that while WinSCP was in the error loop (possibly one dialog per log line??), I deleted the existing log files from the directory - no issues with file locks. The error in WinSCP persisted after the files were deleted. I'll turn logging back on and see what happens.

Rob

Reply with quote

elmariachi
Joined:
Posts:
4
Location:
UK

I've been getting the same error and I think it's because the specified LogMaxSize limit has been reached, the file isn't in use anywhere else - I was expecting it to rollover to a new log file but this isn't happening.

$session.SessionLogPath = "C:\scripts\logs\logfile.log"
$session.AddRawConfiguration("Logging\LogMaxSize", "1000000")
$session.AddRawConfiguration("Logging\LogMaxCount", "20")

If I try to run the script again, it returns "Error: You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression".

I tried renaming the log file so a new one would be created but it was locked in use - I closed the powershell window which I was using to run the script and was then able to rename the log file.

I opened a new PS session, ran the same script and a new log was created. I deleted this (not locked) and renamed the original back, ran the script again and, sure enough, this time it rolled over to produce a new log with a '.1' suffix.

Not sure what happened the first time, looks like it didn't rollover properly and didn't exit properly either.

Reply with quote

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum