I came to file an issue but saw this and figured why litter the forum with new topics when I can keep it here in the same place, might be more helpful to you.
- WinSCP v5.15.3 (Build 9730)
- Not sure when it started as it has done it in the past but never this excessively or long usually less than a minute the interface resumes being interactive (meaning you can use it like intended and not being frozen anymore).
- Windows 10 Pro (1903) x64 (Build 18362.239)
- SFTP protocol (I don't think its the protocol as all my sites have it and they have never had issues)
- Commander GUI (Dark) NOTE: I launch everything directly from the shortcuts but going to main does the same thing, as seen in the screenshots posted above by others, if it helps.
- no error, just hangs on startup and header changes to (Not Responding) for a minimum of 3 minutes (meaning eventually "resumes events" on occasion) and I have let it go for as long as 22 mins and had to force close it, not sure what it is doing and doing so hard during that time that it literally locks itself up and of course the CPU and Memory usage goes through the roof during this time, so one thing I'd like to know is what is it doing? What is processing? What is transferring? when I haven't even done anything yet other than load it up that it can't respond to the user interaction for so long? If there is info somewhere, let me know and I will send it to you.
- Precise steps are really easy, start the program and then you can't do anything. I wish it was an error during actually doing something, that I can understand, this makes no sense.
- If you like, I can record it for you but all you are going to see is 5+ minutes of a program with the (Not Responding) frozen doing nothing, if that helps, I'll make it.
- Not a problem with the remote server as it "connects" just fine to the remote server and shows the content of the remote directory content, the local directory content but no interaction possible, just sits there frozen until you force kill it. I have connected to this server using WinSCP for over 5 years at minimum, so not the remote server.
Small bit of anecdotal observation that "may" help you or not because as a developer myself, I always dig into things and try to find a solution before I reach out, and I have noticed that if you have say "shortcuts" on the local directory that load that happen to point to a mounted drive (aka unc path) and the server is in "idle" mode (when windows for some stupid reason shows the red x on it even though it is connected and when you select the drive it immediately shows the content so certainly not disconnected but applications tend to have trouble with this state, so it seems that on those instances, it is "stuck" trying to parse all the shortcuts and symlinks before proceeding, perhaps we can put a cap on how long it tries before moving on or maybe not even check at all, I think it might resolve this. Just FYI.
Let me know if I can help you or give anything more to help you narrow it down. Happy to help.
Life is a lemon, and I want my money back!