Can't complete connection (no file list) after successful authentication.

Advertisement

damon18
Donor
damon18 avatar
Joined:
Posts:
4
Location:
United States

Can't complete connection (no file list) after successful authentication.

Trying to connect to a new web host. I created and installed keys with Puttygen and added private key to Pageant. Was able to successfully login to server using Putty.

When I tried to connect with WinSCP I get a successful connection message "authenticated" but the connection never completes and displays server files.

I've attached a log file and screenshot of the connection attempt. Is there a setting I'm missing or is this a host server problem?
_________________
https://www.MemphisGuru.com

screenshot-WinSCP-connection-failure.jpg

Description: username and hostname have been obfuscated.

Reply with quote

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar
Joined:
Posts:
33,467
Location:
Prague, Czechia

Re: Can't complete connection (no file list) after successful authentication.

Why are you using SCP? Why don't you use SFTP?

Reply with quote

damon18
Donor
damon18 avatar
Joined:
Posts:
4
Location:
United States

Re: Can't complete connection (no file list) after successful authentication.

martin wrote:

Why are you using SCP? Why don't you use SFTP?

LOL, I don't know, I've always used SCP with the WinSCP client.

Why not?
_________________
https://www.MemphisGuru.com

Reply with quote

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar
Joined:
Posts:
33,467
Location:
Prague, Czechia

Re: Can't complete connection (no file list) after successful authentication.

Because SCP protocol is obsolete. And it was never intended to be used in a GUI client.
There's a reason why WinSCP defaults to SFTP.
So did you try SFTP?

Reply with quote

damon18
Donor
damon18 avatar
Joined:
Posts:
4
Location:
United States

Re: Can't complete connection (no file list) after successful authentication.

martin wrote:

Because SCP protocol is obsolete. And it was never intended to be used in a GUI client.
There's a reason why WinSCP defaults to SFTP.
So did you try SFTP?

Yes, just tried with SFTP and it worked! Thanks for the tip.

I've always used SFTP with Filezilla but not with WinSCP. When using SFTP does WinSCP have all the same features? Like duplicating files and directories and running custom file commands etc.? That is the reason I was using SCP thought it could do things SSH could do but FTP couldn't.
_________________
https://www.MemphisGuru.com

Reply with quote

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar
Joined:
Posts:
33,467
Location:
Prague, Czechia

Re: Can't complete connection (no file list) after successful authentication.

damon18 wrote:

When using SFTP does WinSCP have all the same features? Like duplicating files and directories and running custom file commands etc.? That is the reason I was using SCP thought it could do things SSH could do but FTP couldn't.
Yes, but it opens a new shell session for those (like for SCP). And it won't work, if SCP does work.
The shell session does not work, because you seem to be using some strange shell. WinSCP needs bash or similar.
See https://winscp.net/eng/docs/requirements#scp

Reply with quote

damon18
Donor
damon18 avatar
Joined:
Posts:
4
Location:
United States

Re: Can't complete connection (no file list) after successful authentication.

martin wrote:

The shell session does not work, because you seem to be using some strange shell. WinSCP needs bash or similar.
See https://winscp.net/eng/docs/requirements#scp

This is a new web host I'm connecting to, so not sure what strange shell might be used. When connected using Putty I tried:

$ echo $0
*** forbidden path: /bin/dash
and then
$ echo $SHELL
*** forbidden path: /usr/bin/lshell

So don't have access to that.

I've been using WinSCP for many years on several hosts but haven't had this problem before, I've opened a ticket with the hosting company to see what they have to say.

Reply with quote

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum