"Require Implicit FTP over TLS" ?

Advertisement

Helvetica
Donor
Joined:
Posts:
18
Location:
Switzerland

"Require Implicit FTP over TLS" ?

Hi Martin
An academic website to which I contribute files via ftp changed their settings but they mentioned something that I don't understand - two settings which I can't find in my beloved WinSCP:
This is ok: Port: 990
This is ok: Protocol: FTP
>>>>>Encryption: Require Implicit FTP over TLS ?????
>>>>>Logon Type: Normal ??
Under Encryption in WinSCP I have
- TSL/SSL Implicit Encryption
- TSL/SSL Explicit Encryption
- No encryption
I have tried both of the first two, but the connection fails.
On the Advanced...Connection...TSL/SSL tab I have "minimum version..": 1.0 and "maximimum version..": 1.2

Are there any settings I need to change ?

Reply with quote

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar
Joined:
Posts:
33,516
Location:
Prague, Czechia

Re: "Require Implicit FTP over TLS" ?

"Require Implicit FTP over TLS" is indeed the Encryption > TSL/SSL Implicit Encryption.
And Logon Type Normal is nothing special. That's what WinSCP does by default.
So it should work. Can you post a session log file? Can you connect with any other FTP client?

Reply with quote

Helvetica
Donor
Joined:
Posts:
18
Location:
Switzerland

Re: "Require Implicit FTP over TLS" ?

martin wrote:

"Require Implicit FTP over TLS" is indeed the Encryption > TSL/SSL Implicit Encryption.
And Logon Type Normal is nothing special. That's what WinSCP does by default.
So it should work. Can you post a session log file? Can you connect with any other FTP client?

I haven't tried with any other FTP client because I don't use any other :-) But I will try Filezilla, although it isn't as good as WinSCP.. I will report back..

A few minutes later. No, can't connect with Filezilla either.
>Error: Critical error
>Error: Could not connect to server
So it must be that they have either given me the wrong password (they changed it themselves), or something else is wrong on their end.

Reply with quote

Helvetica
Donor
Joined:
Posts:
18
Location:
Switzerland

Re: "Require Implicit FTP over TLS" ?

martin wrote:

It rather looks like your do not have correct hostname.
It used to be ftp.example.com, but according to the email I received, it has changed to http://www.example.com, which is a bit unusual.
I have written to the person in charge of IT (for the fourth time in the past 12 months), maybe he will find the time to reply.

Reply with quote

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: "Require Implicit FTP over TLS" ?

Helvetica wrote:

It used to be ftp.example.com, but according to the email I received, it has changed to http://www.example.com, which is a bit unusual.
That's nonsense. http:// has nothing to do with FTP.

Reply with quote

Guest

Re: "Require Implicit FTP over TLS" ?

martin wrote:

Helvetica wrote:

It used to be ftp.example.com, but according to the email I received, it has changed to http://www.example.com, which is a bit unusual.
That's nonsense. http:// has nothing to do with FTP.

Of course it's nonsense, but that's what was written in the email.. And even when I try using ftp.xxxx.com, I still can't make it connect.

Reply with quote

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum