Topic "Refresh for internal editor; remember files with session"

JavaJosh

Just got done using WinSCP for some serious DNS work. This would have been maddening without this great tool! This required many open files - it would be nice to be able to have a session that re-opens that set of files. [Corallary: permit bookmarking of files rather than just directories.]

At several points during testing I needed to view a log file. It would have been nice to just click "refresh" in the internal editor to get an update. This would function like a poor man's tail. Quite useful. [Currently the file can be closed and reopened.]

Last but not least, it would be nice to make "Edit" the default behavior for double clicking on remote files. [Currently one must right-click and then click "Edit" - the default behavior is "Open"]

P.S. It is very good that you allow anonymous posts for feature enhancements. Bravo!
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
JavaJosh wrote:
Just got done using WinSCP for some serious DNS work. This would have been maddening without this great tool! This required many open files - it would be nice to be able to have a session that re-opens that set of files. [Corallary: permit bookmarking of files rather than just directories.]

Nice idea. But not easy to do. I have already following on the wishlist: command-line parameter to edit remote file. It may be a solution for you.

Quote:
At several points during testing I needed to view a log file. It would have been nice to just click "refresh" in the internal editor to get an update. This would function like a poor man's tail. Quite useful. [Currently the file can be closed and reopened.]

OK, added to wishlist Smile

Quote:
Last but not least, it would be nice to make "Edit" the default behavior for double clicking on remote files. [Currently one must right-click and then click "Edit" - the default behavior is "Open"]

See "Panels" tab of Preferences.

prikryl wrote:
JavaJosh wrote:

Nice idea. But not easy to do. I have already following on the wishlist: command-line parameter to edit remote file. It may be a solution for you.

Perhaps it would, if combined with a batch file and/or a command line that can accept multiple file names. The file names would ideally be arbitrary - /etc/named and /var/named/mydomain.com.db for example.

Quote:

Quote:

OK, added to wishlist Smile

Thanks!

Quote:

Quote:

See "Panels" tab of Preferences.

I thought this one I might have overlooked. Thanks for the pointer in the right direction. The "Open" command is so erratic that I believe "Edit" should be the default setting.
JavaJosh

This is 6 zone files and /etc/hosts

Wouldn't it be nice to not have to load all of that? Laughing
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Anonymous wrote:
prikryl wrote:
JavaJosh wrote:

Perhaps it would, if combined with a batch file and/or a command line that can accept multiple file names. The file names would ideally be arbitrary - /etc/named and /var/named/mydomain.com.db for example.

This issue has been added to tracker.

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License