Newly occurring error sound

Advertisement

TomAustin
Joined:
Posts:
7

Newly occurring error sound

On my Windows 8.1 machine I'm newly hearing asound over the computer speakers when a specific group of files are being transferred. The sound is a series of 10-15 fast beeps run together followed by one Windows error chime. The log indicates no errors or failed transfers.

Every night I run this batch file:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP\WinSCP.exe"/console /script=c:\Users\Tom\syncradiosother.txt /log=c:\Users\Tom\log.txt
The sounds always happen while files are being synchronized from one particular folder that contains subfolders. When I run the batch file manually and watch the files streaming down in the command prompt window, I notice the stream slows down just before I start hearing these beeps. What are these sounds indicating and why would they be showing up just recently after years of quiet transfers? THANKS.

Reply with quote

Advertisement

martin◆
Site Admin
martin avatar
Joined:
Posts:
43,040
Location:
Prague, Czechia

Re: Newly occurring error sound

I do not think it's WinSCP that does that. I'm quite sure that WinSCP does not play any sounds ever in the scripting mode.

Reply with quote

TomAustin
Joined:
Posts:
7

Thanks. Because the script transfers scores of folders, I created a test script that transfers the seven folders (and subfolders) where the sound occurs. Again, I see no errors in the log, but there is a folder named Antique Radio Forums • View topic.

I seem to remember something about WinSCP and long file names and/or special characters. Would the special characters cause sounds to chime?

Reply with quote

martin◆
Site Admin
martin avatar

Ok, it might be that Windows console beeps when WinSCP tries to print some special/wrong characters. If you want to resolve the problem with the stray folder, please post log file.

Reply with quote

TomAustin
Joined:
Posts:
7

Thanks. My workaround to keep this from waking me up at night was to simply exclude the folder from the sync. These are files that I rarely change or update, so that's acceptable for now. Practically speaking, my issue is resolved, although I remain curious why, after years of quiet transfers, these beeps would suddenly appear.

If it would be of interest to others, I'll run a sync of just that directory and post the log. I'll wait to do that after I see if someone wants it.

Thanks for your help. Keep up the good work!

Reply with quote

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum