Different behaviour when calling .winscp file vs command line params

Advertisement

General von Klinkerhoffen

Different behaviour when calling .winscp file vs command line params

I use a hosting company that produces backup files on a nightly basis. The backups are stored in subfolders containing the date and time of the backup, but on my local system I need the backup files always in the same location for further processing.
I've used WinSCP for years to download the files over WebDAV using a WinSCP command file like this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP\WinSCP.exe" /script="DownloadBackup.winscp"
The DownloadBackup.winscp file looks like this:
open https://user:pass@www.hosting.com/backup
# By omitting the trailing slash in the destination, the files are placed in the backup folder, instead of creating the backup_year_month_date_time folder
get -filemask="*>=24H" * -speed=10240 c:\data\backup
This construction always ensured the latest backup was available in the c:\data\backup folder.
I am now moving to a fully command line driven setup (without the batch files) and do the following now:
"c:\program files (x86)\winscp\winscp.com" /command "open https://user:pass@www.hosting.com/backup" "get -filemask=*>=24H * -speed=10240 c:\data\backup" "exit"
This gives me the message:
Are you sure you want to transfer multiple files to a single file 'backup' in a directory 'c:\data'?
The files will overwrite one another.
If you actually want to transfer all files to a directory 'c:\data\backup', keeping their name, make sure you terminate the path with a slash.
When I end the destination path with a slash, the folders from the hosting server are also copied, so then my backup files end up in the folder c:\data\backup\2023-06-19_0300\
Is it possible to download the files from a remote subfolder into a given local folder using the command line option?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Different behaviour when calling .winscp file vs command line params

There's no difference how the commands are interpreted when read from commandline or script file.
The difference must be elsewhere. Please post session log files from both scenarions.

To generate the session log file, use /log=C:\path\to\winscp.log command-line argument. Submit the log with your post as an attachment. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you can mark the attachment as private.

General von Klinkerhoffen

Hi,
Thanks for the swift response. I was collecting the logs you requested and it turns out everything IS working as it should. Most likely the PowerShell script I built around the WinSCP CLI (to be able to store the passwords for the source and destination in a safe manner) contains an error (like a trailing slash somewhere).
This thread can be closed; the issue is on my end, not on WinSCP's.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum