Multiple connections transfer

Advertisement

cpedrick

Multiple connections transfer

I guess this is more of a "double check" than anything.

I have tried setting up the multiple connections for transferring from local to remote and vice versa but I appear to not be having any luck. I say this mainly because when transferring, although it appears that multiple files are transferring at the same time, they don't appear to have independent connections much like when you drag and drop one file or folder after another. If this is just visually how things look, then let me know...
NOTE: I saw the fact multiple files don't transfer when the include directory timestamp option is selected.

I have attached the example I am referring to when I say "appears to be transferring multiple files". To me it appears as though the files are all being transferred simultaneously but that they are all being transferred at the same speed cap and therefore not new connections. (essentially the same speed it would be if I transferred the individually).

Comparatively, I will also attached an example of what it looks like when I individually drag items across. I have noted the speed appears capped at a total as the same cap for the full transfer so I am genuinely lost. Any input on how to Improve either the total transfer speed for an "multiple transfer" or the individual transfers will be greatly appreciated. (I do know I may be limited by the transfer speed of either end of the transfer but I do not believe this to be the case and if there's a way to see this, other than what has already been attached, this would also help)

(Have not attached a log file but will aim to do so for the next post in this thread.)

01-main.jpg

01-default.jpg

01-transfer.jpg

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Multiple connections transfer

So what did you expect differently? In general, I wouldn't be surprised if six paralel transfers/connections (your second screenshot) already saturate your bandwidth (or CPU or whatever the bottleneck is). So adding another three connections (your first screenshot) won't give you any advantage.

I was just a little surprised since all 3 of my remote connections experience the same “cap” at exactly the same speeds no matter the number of parallel transfers. This includes the remote connection I used as an example which from my understanding is a type of cloud storage, a connection to a remote computer which my institute should be somehow directly connected to and a local Linux box which should at least have some improved speed compared to the other two seeing as both it and my PC are connected through the institutions wired connections no?

I could very well be completely Miss understanding how it all transfers but just found it odd that all three connections had the same “cap”. Obviously it’s likely an issue related somehow to my computer but all of my coworkers have had the same issue and we all have different specs (some worse than mine). Should mention I haven’t considered that the institution could have put an artificial cap on these types of transfer which again, is a very likely issue.

All of that aside I just wanted to double check what the multiple transfer is actually doing? From your explanation it sounds like if the transfer speed is 7Mb/s that means all 6 are transferring at a total of 7? For example 1 at 1Mb/s another at 1.3Mb/s and so on. So in my scenario I would be in the same place if I was just transferring one file since that also transfers at the same speed?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Too many questions, some of them too broad :) To answer at least the simpler ones:

The 6.89 MB/s in your first screenshot is cumulative speed of the 9 transfers.

The speed can be capped for example by CPU (CPU core specifically), in which case it would be the same (assuming the same algorithms etc) even over different networks.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum