Topic "fileparts are deleted in 3.8.1 batch mode"

Author Message
tom1

Guest


I just upgraded from the 3.8 beta to the 3.8.1 code on XP and noticed that fileparts are being deleted in batch mode but NOT in GUI mode.

I use the following file to sync folders across machine:

open tom@myother.site.com
option synchdelete on
option batch on
option transfer binary
lcd C:\local.sync.folder
cd /home/tom
synchronize remote
close
exit

When the batch process begins an in progress transfer suffixed with filepart is immediately deleted.

Any ideas?
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24994
Location: Prague, Czechia
tom1 wrote:
When the batch process begins an in progress transfer suffixed with filepart is immediately deleted.

Do you mean that transfer is not resumed?
_________________
Martin Prikryl
tom1

Guest


prikryl wrote:
tom1 wrote:
When the batch process begins an in progress transfer suffixed with filepart is immediately deleted.

Do you mean that transfer is not resumed?


Yes, that is another way of putting it. When I manually restart a batch job that is too continue sync the filepart file (or interrupted transfer) is deleted rather than resumed.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24994
Location: Prague, Czechia
tom1 wrote:
Yes, that is another way of putting it. When I manually restart a batch job that is too continue sync the filepart file (or interrupted transfer) is deleted rather than resumed.

OK, I've found it. "Obsolete" remote files are deleted before upload. And the "filepart" file is considered obsolete, so it is removed (if you have enabled deleting of files). I do not know what is good solution. I'm not even sure if it is good idea to resume file transfer for synchronisation. How do you know that the file part is from the same version of the source file? What do you think?
_________________
Martin Prikryl
tom1

Guest


I see your point.

Can you imbed a date and timestamp into the file name in front of the word filepart so that you will know what version the partial file is associated with?

In my case I use WinSCP to securely backup large files across the internet and then cancel the job in the morning so that day time bandwidth is not affected by large transfers. Because of this approach I leave large fileparts on the backup machine knowing that they will be resumed the following evening when batch WinSCP is started again.

BTW was the behavior changed in 3.8.1. I recall this working fine in 3.7 and possibly 3.8 beta
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24994
Location: Prague, Czechia
I'll leave the resuming there for now.
Yes the behavior has changed. Synchronization was completely re-factored in 3.8 beta. As part of that, order of actions has changed. Previously the deletion was done after transfers, not before. However it still must have failed, because the deletion of filepart file was still scheduled. But the file no longer exists once the transfer finishes, so the deletion must have failed.
I'll try to solve it in the next release.
tom1

Guest


prikryl wrote:
I'll leave the resuming there for now.
Yes the behavior has changed. Synchronization was completely re-factored in 3.8 beta. As part of that, order of actions has changed. Previously the deletion was done after transfers, not before. However it still must have failed, because the deletion of filepart file was still scheduled. But the file no longer exists once the transfer finishes, so the deletion must have failed.
I'll try to solve it in the next release.


Thanks. I will look forward to your next release.
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum






Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License