Can not see sub directories on remote server.

Advertisement

IndyFritz
Donor

Win 10
WinSCP 6.1.2
SFTP-3; SSH2
Commander Mode
I've been happily using WinSCP for several years. Now I am stuck in a spot I can not escape from,
I can see my local directory(s) fine, left pane. In my remote pane, I am in the highest directory assigned to me. In the Box we see fkleinha. Below we see a list; see screen shot:
Up arrow highlighted in yellow and then two dots.
box .profile
box .hshrc
box .bashrc
box .bash_logout
So where are my sub-directories? As best I can tell, I got here by up arrowing one too many times. Nothing is frozen, no error messages. I'm just in the wrong place. How do I get back and see my sub-directories. I know they are still there because I can still see my web site. Changing to 'Home' or 'root' directory does not help.
Thanks, I'm going crazy. First time here on forum. Sorry if I've got the protocol wrong.

Description: Screen shot of Commander mode with right pane making no sense to me.

WinSCP stuck.jpg

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Can not see sub directories on remote server.

Well, you have hidden files displayed, so WinSCP should be showing you everything there is (everything your server provided).
Of course, the server might behave strangely and not provide some subfolders.
If you know the folder name/path, you can open it by manually typing its path into Open directory box (Ctrl+O).
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/task_navigate#manual
Or, if you are still in the session in which you had your desired directory opened, just keep pressing Back (Alt+Left) – as in a web browser – until you return to it.
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/task_navigate#special_commands

IndyFritz
Donor

Thanks for the suggestions:
I have opened and closed my WinSCP several times in an attempt to get things working. There is no going 'back'.
As to directory or file search: I don't understand. There are no directories or files shown to search thru. There is no haystack for things to hide in. You may be right that my server is hiding things from me. Could that have been caused by WinSCP?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

So did you try to manually open the desired directory by typing its name? Or you do not know its name/path? Or how did you get to it originally? Are you sure the folder was under /home/fkleinha? Wasn't it elsewhere? What URL do you use to access your website?

I do not think it is caused by WinSCP. But well, you can try another SFTP client, if you doubt.

IndyFritz
Donor

Thanks for continuing to ponder this. I am still lost: Here are answers to your questions followed by a few random thoughts:
Web site = <invalid hyperlink removed by admin>
WinSCP log in: See last attachment
Search for files or directory: I searched in home/fkleinha for the sub directory starman; nothing. I searched in home/kleinha for the file index.html; nothing. See middle attachment. You can see in the left pane that these are just under fkleinha in my local computer.
I am trying to get help from my local administrators here. Indiana University recommends WinSCP for folks like me but support services is unable to 'fully support' and sent me here. I need to reach the folks in charge of my server. I agree that maybe the server is the problem. But the problem occurred during a WinSCP session. Two events:
  1. While in WinSCP my files went from visible to invisible in one blink of the eye. Not sure what I did. But a little poking around brought them back; again not sure just how.
  2. Then this happened a second time. Files visible, random click, maybe; and files disappeared. Now nothing brings them back. So these disappearances occurred while in WinSCP.
I have done a lot more poking around (First attachment below). I can see all the directories parallel to mine. I recognize my colleagues. I have searched the entire list. One other empty one is mine from previous years use. I can open other folks home directories and see their files inside; shown in first attachment.
I will try one new thing (holiday here so support missing till Tuesday). I am on my desktop now. I will load WinSCP on my laptop to see if my experience is different.

Description: Other directories under home

WinScp 2.jpg

Description: Searching

WinSCP 4.jpg

Description: WinSCP log in screen

WinScp 3.jpg

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

So how does the mapping from fkleinha to starman happens?
Shouldn't you rather be looking for the files in /home/starman or similar?
Or how do you access the website of fnabhi for instance?

IndyFritz
Donor

I have no idea how starman and fkleinha are connected on the server. I have to track down my administrators. At one time I had two web sites. But all of starman was moved to fkleinha and everything has been there for the last several years.
By going to my 'home' directory I was able to see the file folders of other users and open the one for fnabhi, for example, to persuade myself that there actually was user content inside of these other folders.
Thanks for your work looking at my problems. I think at this point only my server administrators will be able to help me. They are not my direct line of support so I will have to do some begging to get them to look at my problem. You have confirmed that my WinSCP does not appear to be the problem. Thanks!

IndyFritz
Donor

Problem Solved:

Thanks for the help Martin. Your help increasingly made it clear that nothing was wrong with my WinSCP and that the problem was with my server. I finally made contact with my server administrator. She gave me the true location of my files and I am back in business. I surmise that in the past I was accessing my files via a short cut and somehow that short cut was broken and making it appear that my files had disappeared.
IndyFritz

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum