Topic "WinSCP.exe pulls 100 % CPU permanently."

Frank Meyer
[View user's profile]

Hello,

that happens even if I have ended WINSCP a long time ago. The WinSCP.exe stays as a process exist.
What must I do so that WINSCP completely ends itself?

Thanks to, Frank
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
What version do you use?

Version 4.0.2 Build 344 and WinXP SP2
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
As a first test, can you check if automatic check for application updates in on and turn it off?
Donor
WinSCP version 4.0.2 Build 344 (under WinXP SP2) is entering in a high-processor usage loop while trying to refresh a directory with many folders (more than 1800); happens if I use the "Refresh" button or after changing access permissions of some folder (what automatically leads to a refresh). Maybe it can occur in more events, but I only tested for these two cases.
Thanks.

P.S.: Auto-updates are off.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Ricardo wrote:
WinSCP version 4.0.2 Build 344 (under WinXP SP2) is entering in a high-processor usage loop while trying to refresh a directory with many folders (more than 1800); happens if I use the "Refresh" button or after changing access permissions of some folder (what automatically leads to a refresh). Maybe it can occur in more events, but I only tested for these two cases.
Thanks.

This is known issue that has been resolved already. The fix will be included into the next release.

Thank, i wait for new version.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Frank Meyer wrote:
Thank, i wait for new version.

It have been released already, 4.0.3.

i have a comparable problem here with version 4.0.3 (Build 345) on windows XP SP2. After a period of time when winscp is running, cpu consumption of winscp is permanently at 45%-49%. I don't know exactle how to reproduce it, but it happens nearly every day.

Thank you for your help
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
bohne wrote:
i have a comparable problem here with version 4.0.3 (Build 345) on windows XP SP2. After a period of time when winscp is running, cpu consumption of winscp is permanently at 45%-49%. I don't know exactle how to reproduce it, but it happens nearly every day.

Did you have the problem with older releases?

yes i had the same problem with an older version, i think it was 3.8.2.
[/img]
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
OK, I'll check it.

hallo,

first, sorry for my bad english Wink
second, thanks for your work on that great program Wink

i have the 'same' problem with cpu-usage but (only) from begin of a connection to end of connection and closing winscp.
so, when i close winscp it runs and runs and runs with 100 % usage from one core.
if i start winscp without to initiate a connection, its exiting correctly, but from start to initiate a con. to the end of winscp it doesn't.

i had / have this problem by
winscp 4.0.4 build 346 and all previous versions after 3.8.2
on following sys. win 2000 sp4 (pentium 3, 1GHz) and winxp sp2 (Pentium D 2,8 GHz)
on my notebook with winxp sp2 and an intel p4 3GHz i haven't this problem.

that's very confusing !

thanks a lot !

greets andy
jholzy

New install of XP SP2. Installed WinSCP 4.03 and had severe cpu drain so updated to 4.04 today. Problem persists but not as severe.
jholzy
[View user's profile]

jholzy wrote:
New install of XP SP2. Installed WinSCP 4.03 and had severe cpu drain so updated to 4.04 today. Problem persists but not as severe.

I thought maybe it wasn't playing nice with some other program or process I had running so I started ending processes. WinSCP started working like expected but I wasn't able to narrow it down to which process was the offender. I'll keep working on it to figure out which one is the problem and report back here. I do not think it is a problem with WinSCP.
jholzy
[View user's profile]

This solved the problem on my PC.
[url]
http://www.x64bit.net/site/board/index.php?showtopic=4214&mode=threaded
[/url]

CS3 seems to have been the bad guy with Adobe's "take-over-the-'puter" installation.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
jholzy wrote:
This solved the problem on my PC.
[url]
http://www.x64bit.net/site/board/index.php?showtopic=4214&mode=threaded
[/url]

CS3 seems to have been the bad guy with Adobe's "take-over-the-'puter" installation.

Thanks for the link.
What kind of problem has removing "Bonjour" actually solved? When did you have CPU problems? Please note that there are several (maybe) distinct problems described in this topic. Thanks.

Hello, I had the same problems described here - permanent 50% CPU usage and WinSCP.exe stays running even after the app is closed. The problems disapeared when I disabled automatic updates in WinSCP. Now the only problem is that WinSCP hangs when I run "Check for updates".
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Quote:
Hello, I had the same problems described here - permanent 50% CPU usage and WinSCP.exe stays running even after the app is closed. The problems disapeared when I disabled automatic updates in WinSCP. Now the only problem is that WinSCP hangs when I run "Check for updates".

Can I have an email contact to you, so I can send you a debug version?

prikryl wrote:
Quote:

Can I have an email contact to you, so I can send you a debug version?

You send the debug version to martin.talpa AT centrum.cz.
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License