Does winscp3 have CRC checking

Advertisement

tkquestion
Guest

Does winscp3 have CRC checking

How does WinSCP3 guarantee that the file being transferred in not corrupted while in flight. Is there integrity checking that is occurring on the fly?

Reply with quote

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar
Joined:
Posts:
30,394
Location:
Prague, Czechia

Re: Does winscp3 have CRC checking

SSH protocol have built in integrity checking, hence file cannot be corrupted while transferred.
_________________
Martin Prikryl

Reply with quote

tkquestion
Guest

SFTP checksum bug fix?

I noticed the following bug fix in the history:

Bug fix: Checksum calculation with SFTP protocol was not working at all.

Two questions:
1. When running in batch mode am I use SCP SFTP mode?
2. Was this error present in 3.8.2?

Thanks

Reply with quote

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar
Joined:
Posts:
30,394
Location:
Prague, Czechia

Re: SFTP checksum bug fix?

tkquestion wrote:

Bug fix: Checksum calculation with SFTP protocol was not working at all.
This is unrelated to your first question. There was a bug in file checksum calculation that can be requested from Properties dialog. This has nothing to do with SSH session integrity checking.

1. When running in batch mode am I use SCP SFTP mode?
Depends on your settings.

2. Was this error present in 3.8.2?
The feature mentioned above was added in 4.0 beta.
_________________
Martin Prikryl

Reply with quote

Fishbalm
Guest

CRC vs SSH

While SSH guarantees that all packages sent are accurate, it does not guarantee that the entire file was sent. That's why you still need CRC.

Reply with quote

Advertisement

Piasecki
Joined:
Posts:
1
Location:
Warsaw, Poland

Re: CRC vs SSH

Fishbalm wrote:

While SSH guarantees that all packages sent are accurate, it does not guarantee that the entire file was sent. That's why you still need CRC.

How can I set the WINSCP to make it always CRC checking and in case of some error - automaticaly repeat the file transfer? In my case I have to repeat manually many (5 - 10) times to make the transfer error-free.

E.Piasecki

Reply with quote

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar
Joined:
Posts:
30,394
Location:
Prague, Czechia

Re: CRC vs SSH

Piasecki wrote:

How can I set the WINSCP to make it always CRC checking and in case of some error - automaticaly repeat the file transfer? In my case I have to repeat manually many (5 - 10) times to make the transfer error-free.
WinSCP does not have such feature.
It's tracked here:
https://winscp.net/tracker/374
As mentioned there, even if this was implemented, majority of servers won't support it anyway.

Reply with quote

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum