Topic "Store settings per windows user"

Matthias

I like the way WinSCP can store its settings in an ini file (registry stored settings are a pain to quickly migrate to another machine). However, I don't see why it saves the ini in the installation folder (program files\winscp) and not in a folder personal to the current windows user (eg on XP: "Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\WinSCP" or on vista "users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\WinSCP"). Therefore all winscp settings (and maybe even login details) are shared with other users of my machine.
So is there any way to configure WinSCP so that it stores settings per user?

Regards,

Matthias
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
You can specify path to INI file on command line.

That's not a real solution in my opinion. Why don't you consider using per-user settings. Most Windows applications do that these days.

-M
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Matthias wrote:
That's not a real solution in my opinion. Why don't you consider using per-user settings. Most Windows applications do that these days.

WinSCP does that too, if you use registry, what is preferred approach on Windows.

Matthias wrote:
I like the way WinSCP can store its settings in an ini file (registry stored settings are a pain to quickly migrate to another machine). However, I don't see why it saves the ini in the installation folder (program files\winscp) and not in a folder personal to the current windows user (eg on XP: "Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\WinSCP" or on vista "users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\WinSCP"). Therefore all winscp settings (and maybe even login details) are shared with other users of my machine.
So is there any way to configure WinSCP so that it stores settings per user?

Regards,

Matthias

We don't need more crap in the profile-folder. The default max size set by GPO in windows domains as 30MB. USing the registry (which is already per user) is the preferred method in a multiuser environment.
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License