Topic "corrupt .htm files?"

ftpuser99
[View user's profile]

hey all, i just started using ftpclient but i noticed that when i transfer files onto my domain, the .htm files almost always get corrupt (IE when i edit them in FtpClient, they only display "<" and not my code, and when viewed online, they're a bunch of "?" marks and other random symbols.)

why are my files becoming corrupt when i transfer them? i can later edit them on my domain when they're corrupt, but it's a hassle to keep doing that.

ALSO, .htm vs .html? advantages/disadvantages?

thank you!
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
What ftpclient are you using?

oh, sorry! i'm using WinSCP.
W.Ed.
[View user's profile]

ftpuser99 wrote:
hey all, i just started using ftpclient but i noticed that when i transfer files onto my domain, the .htm files almost always get corrupt (IE when i edit them in FtpClient, they only display "<" and not my code, and when viewed online, they're a bunch of "?" marks and other random symbols.)

why are my files becoming corrupt when i transfer them? i can later edit them on my domain when they're corrupt, but it's a hassle to keep doing that.

thank you!

First, try binary transfers.
Then ?check encoding? of your pages.

ftpuser99 wrote:

ALSO, .htm vs .html? advantages/disadvantages?

.html is just full name of HyperText Markup Language
.htm was for compatibility with old filesystems with 8.3 filenames (8 chars for name and 3 for extension)
ftpuser99
[View user's profile]

"check encoding"? how do I do this?

also, a few people have told me that when they visit my page all they see is a blank white page. is this maybe because it's an .htm page and not a .html page?

thank you!
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Can you give us an address of the pages you are having problem with?
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License