Topic "Synchronize Permissions"

Author Message
Guest




Hi,

I'm using the synchronize command to keep a remote directory synced with a local one; so far so good.

However, I'm having a permissions problem; I want to keep the permissions similar to those on the local directory. However, WINSCP doesn't seem to be keeping them quite right. Instead, whenever it transfers I only see permissions for the logged user, 'everyone', and 'none'; I assume these are the windows equivalents of Group and Other of the unix UGO permissions. Instead, I would like to have the groups on the local server transfer to the remote server, such as 'Administrators', etc.

This leads me to a couple of questions. First off, what does 'default permissions' mean in the documentation regarding the -nopermissions switch of synchronize?
Second, is it possible to transfer only changed files with the 'put' command? Will this allow me to do what I need with the permissions?

Thanks,
Amit
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24991
Location: Prague, Czechia
Quote:
However, I'm having a permissions problem; I want to keep the permissions similar to those on the local directory. However, WINSCP doesn't seem to be keeping them quite right. Instead, whenever it transfers I only see permissions for the logged user, 'everyone', and 'none'; I assume these are the windows equivalents of Group and Other of the unix UGO permissions. Instead, I would like to have the groups on the local server transfer to the remote server, such as 'Administrators', etc.

WinSCP does not try to map local permissions in any way to remote permissions. I have no idea how this would be done anyway.

Quote:
This leads me to a couple of questions. First off, what does 'default permissions' mean in the documentation regarding the -nopermissions switch of synchronize?

Default permissions assigned by your server to new files.

Quote:
Second, is it possible to transfer only changed files with the 'put' command?

Use 'synchronize' for that.

Quote:
Will this allow me to do what I need with the permissions?

Probably not.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum






Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License