Topic "REPOST: Cannot remove temporary directory"

Author Message
nvt

Guest


Hello Site Admin.
Just to remind you about my last message. Please give me a hint to avoid the annoying message. Don't keeping asking me what I am using ans stay silent.
If you find that the message is useless to you. Stop this forum!!!
NVT
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 25015
Location: Prague, Czechia
I'm sorry, but I do not have any clue for you yet. Otherwise, I would have already answered you!
_________________
Martin Prikryl
Guest




I get the same error, but the first time i get a:

Error while waiting for document to close

and then:

Cannot remove temporary directory

each time i try to copy a file from server to my computer.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 25015
Location: Prague, Czechia
Anonymous wrote:
I get the same error, but the first time i get a:

Error while waiting for document to close

WinSCP cannot work with some editors yet. This is probably the case.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
Guest




Anonymous wrote:
I get the same error, but the first time i get a:

Error while waiting for document to close

and then:

Cannot remove temporary directory

each time i try to copy a file from server to my computer.


Hello man, I have found the cause, however it's in my case... I don't know it will solve your prob. It's because of the backup mechanism of UltraEdit. When you choose to backup the file you are editing, it will create the backup file in the same folder. So when you close UltraEdit, WinSCP cannot remove this folder because there are more files inside it rather than just the file you edited.

Hope this will help you.
---
NVT
cmw

Guest


Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
I get the same error, but the first time i get a:

Error while waiting for document to close

and then:

Cannot remove temporary directory

each time i try to copy a file from server to my computer.


Hello man, I have found the cause, however it's in my case... I don't know it will solve your prob. It's because of the backup mechanism of UltraEdit. When you choose to backup the file you are editing, it will create the backup file in the same folder. So when you close UltraEdit, WinSCP cannot remove this folder because there are more files inside it rather than just the file you edited.

Hope this will help you.
---
NVT


I am still getting the error "Cannot remove temporary directory". It seems that it occurs when I open a file, then without closing that file, open another file. I get the error after opening the second file, not the first one. When I view the temp dir, there are no files in them, but when I view the properties of the folder the checkmark for read-only is checked and shaded (indicating some files are read-only). I checked but there are no hidden files, so I am not sure what is going on. I have included some info on the programs I am using below. If anyone has run across this issue before and found a solution, please let me know.

WinSCP 3.7.1 (Build 257)
TextPad 4.7.3
WinXP SP2
Temp Dir: C:\Documents and Settings\ChrisW\Local Settings\Temp\scp14104\
(The folder "\scp14104\" changes for each file opened)

Thanks!
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 25015
Location: Prague, Czechia
cmw wrote:
I am still getting the error "Cannot remove temporary directory". It seems that it occurs when I open a file, then without closing that file, open another file. I get the error after opening the second file, not the first one. When I view the temp dir, there are no files in them, but when I view the properties of the folder the checkmark for read-only is checked and shaded (indicating some files are read-only). I checked but there are no hidden files, so I am not sure what is going on. I have included some info on the programs I am using below. If anyone has run across this issue before and found a solution, please let me know.

What is your editor configuration in WinSCP? Can you try the latest version of WinSCP?
cmw

Guest


prikryl wrote:
cmw wrote:
I am still getting the error "Cannot remove temporary directory". It seems that it occurs when I open a file, then without closing that file, open another file. I get the error after opening the second file, not the first one. When I view the temp dir, there are no files in them, but when I view the properties of the folder the checkmark for read-only is checked and shaded (indicating some files are read-only). I checked but there are no hidden files, so I am not sure what is going on. I have included some info on the programs I am using below. If anyone has run across this issue before and found a solution, please let me know.

What is your editor configuration in WinSCP? Can you try the latest version of WinSCP?


I just downloaded version 3.8.0 (Build 312) and after attempting to open the second file again I got a VERY long message explain exactly what the problem is and what to do to fix it. It looks like the latest Beta version was smart enough to figure out what the error was and asked what I wanted to do to fix it.

Thanks a lot for your help! Great software!
cmw

Guest


cmw wrote:
prikryl wrote:
cmw wrote:
I am still getting the error "Cannot remove temporary directory". It seems that it occurs when I open a file, then without closing that file, open another file. I get the error after opening the second file, not the first one. When I view the temp dir, there are no files in them, but when I view the properties of the folder the checkmark for read-only is checked and shaded (indicating some files are read-only). I checked but there are no hidden files, so I am not sure what is going on. I have included some info on the programs I am using below. If anyone has run across this issue before and found a solution, please let me know.

What is your editor configuration in WinSCP? Can you try the latest version of WinSCP?


I just downloaded version 3.8.0 (Build 312) and after attempting to open the second file again I got a VERY long message explain exactly what the problem is and what to do to fix it. It looks like the latest Beta version was smart enough to figure out what the error was and asked what I wanted to do to fix it.

Thanks a lot for your help! Great software!


I think I may have responded back a little too soon. I am still getting the message. Even though the beta version recongnizes the problem, it continues to give me the error message. I setup the preference the way they "should" be setup to allow for a single instance of Textpad to handle multiple remote files, but I continue to get the messages.

Do you have any other ideas of what I can try?

Thanks!
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 25015
Location: Prague, Czechia
I have tried that myself. My settings are:
In the TextPad I have disabled Allow multiple instances to run. In WinSCP in the external editor configuration, I have enabled External editor opens multiple files in one window (process). In global editor settings, I have selected Allow multiple remote opened files > Multiple files, use background transfers to upload changed files. Now I can open as many files as I like in TextPad from WinSCP. Is that your configuration too?
_________________
Martin Prikryl
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 25015
Location: Prague, Czechia
Also can you post a full error message?
_________________
Martin Prikryl
rknopman

Guest


FWIW, what fixed this for me was under Preferences > Editors, make sure your editor is set correctly for MDI (typically "Yes"). If it's set wrong, highlight it and click "Edit", then check "External Editor opens multiple...".

Rich
plarson

Guest


To whomever gave the solution, it worked.

I had to set my editor setting to "My editor opens multiple files in one window (process).

Thanks! this was really bugging me.

Patrick
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum






Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License