Topic "Small issues..."

Author Message
Guest




Great program... just a couple of comments:

1) You can't easily drag files into a folder on a site that has loads of folders in it without first scrolling down so that the folders are "out of of the way". I.e., it insists on wanting to drag the file into one of the existing folders. It would be nice to be able to drag a file to the right blank area without it insisting the file should go int one of the folders.

2) A "Save as" would be nice in the editor

3) Can't seem to eliminate the ^M's that are appended to ends of lines when displayed in Linux environments. I've tried setting it to "binary" mode for all transfers (per another thread), and that didn't fix it. Any ideas?
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24996
Location: Prague, Czechia
Anonymous wrote:
1) You can't easily drag files into a folder on a site that has loads of folders in it without first scrolling down so that the folders are "out of of the way". I.e., it insists on wanting to drag the file into one of the existing folders. It would be nice to be able to drag a file to the right blank area without it insisting the file should go int one of the folders.

Can you be more specifiec as to where do you drop files? As long as you drop them out of a directory row (i.e. below directories or right to them), WinSCP should upload to the current directory. So first, do you use Explorer or Commander interface? Do you drop to file list or directory tree? If in Explorer interface, what view style do you use?

Quote:
2) A "Save as" would be nice in the editor

This request has been added to tracker.

Quote:
3) Can't seem to eliminate the ^M's that are appended to ends of lines when displayed in Linux environments. I've tried setting it to "binary" mode for all transfers (per another thread), and that didn't fix it. Any ideas?

Do you mean that you cannot drop ^M when uploading the files? You should use text/ascii mode for that. Please read documentation (see note about uploading from editor). What protocol are you using?
Guest




Quote:
1) You can't easily drag files into a folder on a site that has loads of folders in it without first scrolling down so that the folders are "out of of the way". I.e., it insists on wanting to drag the file into one of the existing folders. It would be nice to be able to drag a file to the right blank area without it insisting the file should go int one of the folders.

Can you be more specifiec as to where do you drop files? As long as you drop them out of a directory row (i.e. below directories or right to them), WinSCP should upload to the current directory. So first, do you use Explorer or Commander interface? Do you drop to file list or directory tree? If in Explorer interface, what view style do you use?


I believe it's the Explorer (side-by-side) interface, with or without directory tree. When you drag a file into the window, it automatically highlights the entire line you're hovering over, regardless of where you are hovering horizontally on the line. Releasing the left mouse button will place the file into the subfolder that's on that line. So as far as I can tell, in order to drop a file into the current folder, it has to be below all subfolders in the list (which isn't conventional Windows GUI behavior, which lets you drag to the right of folders as valid "draggable space" into the current folder). This is inconvenient if you have a lot of copying to do in a folder that contains a lot of subfolders. Because after you drag a file over (after having scrolled below the subfolders to currently draggable territory), the program refreshes the visible window contents back to the top, where all the subfolders are, and in order to copy more files over, you have to again scroll down below all the subfolders.

Quote:
2) A "Save as" would be nice in the editor

This request has been added to tracker.
[/quote]

Great Smile

Quote:
3) Can't seem to eliminate the ^M's that are appended to ends of lines when displayed in Linux environments. I've tried setting it to "binary" mode for all transfers (per another thread), and that didn't fix it. Any ideas?

Do you mean that you cannot drop ^M when uploading the files? You should use text/ascii mode for that. Please read documentation (see note about uploading from editor). What protocol are you using?


Right, I guess the editor is including ^M's at the end of every line, and I want them to be removed. I'm using regular FTP. Is there a setting somewhere to remove them?
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24996
Location: Prague, Czechia
Anonymous wrote:
I believe it's the Explorer (side-by-side) interface, with or without directory tree. When you drag a file into the window, it automatically highlights the entire line you're hovering over, regardless of where you are hovering horizontally on the line. Releasing the left mouse button will place the file into the subfolder that's on that line. So as far as I can tell, in order to drop a file into the current folder, it has to be below all subfolders in the list (which isn't conventional Windows GUI behavior, which lets you drag to the right of folders as valid "draggable space" into the current folder). This is inconvenient if you have a lot of copying to do in a folder that contains a lot of subfolders. Because after you drag a file over (after having scrolled below the subfolders to currently draggable territory), the program refreshes the visible window contents back to the top, where all the subfolders are, and in order to copy more files over, you have to again scroll down below all the subfolders.

Side-by-side in Commander (In Explorer interface, only file name is highlighted). In Commander interface by default whole row is highlighted. You can change this in preferences. Or you can drag file right to the rightmost column.

Quote:
Right, I guess the editor is including ^M's at the end of every line, and I want them to be removed. I'm using regular FTP. Is there a setting somewhere to remove them?

Yes, enable text/ascii mode, see my previous post.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
Guest




prikryl wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
I believe it's the Explorer (side-by-side) interface, with or without directory tree. When you drag a file into the window, it automatically highlights the entire line you're hovering over, regardless of where you are hovering horizontally on the line. Releasing the left mouse button will place the file into the subfolder that's on that line. So as far as I can tell, in order to drop a file into the current folder, it has to be below all subfolders in the list (which isn't conventional Windows GUI behavior, which lets you drag to the right of folders as valid "draggable space" into the current folder). This is inconvenient if you have a lot of copying to do in a folder that contains a lot of subfolders. Because after you drag a file over (after having scrolled below the subfolders to currently draggable territory), the program refreshes the visible window contents back to the top, where all the subfolders are, and in order to copy more files over, you have to again scroll down below all the subfolders.

Side-by-side in Commander (In Explorer interface, only file name is highlighted). In Commander interface by default whole row is highlighted. You can change this in preferences. Or you can drag file right to the rightmost column.

Ah, OK. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Right, I guess the editor is including ^M's at the end of every line, and I want them to be removed. I'm using regular FTP. Is there a setting somewhere to remove them?
Yes, enable text/ascii mode, see my previous post.


OK, but I believe I've tried that and it's still appending ^M's. In the link you refer to above, it says "Note that text mode is always forced for internal editor" anyway(?)
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24996
Location: Prague, Czechia
Anonymous wrote:
OK, but I believe I've tried that and it's still appending ^M's. In the link you refer to above, it says "Note that text mode is always forced for internal editor" anyway(?)

So are you using internal editor? Can you post a log file? What FTP server are you using?
Guest




prikryl wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
OK, but I believe I've tried that and it's still appending ^M's. In the link you refer to above, it says "Note that text mode is always forced for internal editor" anyway(?)

So are you using internal editor? Can you post a log file? What FTP server are you using?


Yes, internal editor. Using just an in-house Linux-based ftp server. I tried making a log file, but it doesn't seem to be recording the action of editing a file and saving it(?)
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24996
Location: Prague, Czechia
Quote:
Yes, internal editor. Using just an in-house Linux-based ftp server. I tried making a log file, but it doesn't seem to be recording the action of editing a file and saving it(?)

No it does not. But it shows the upload. This is what I'm after.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
Guest




prikryl wrote:
Quote:
Yes, internal editor. Using just an in-house Linux-based ftp server. I tried making a log file, but it doesn't seem to be recording the action of editing a file and saving it(?)

No it does not. But it shows the upload. This is what I'm after.


For whatever reason, it doesn't record the upload for me.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24996
Location: Prague, Czechia
Do you edit remote file directly of the remote panel? Or do you edit local file, uploading it manually after saving?
_________________
Martin Prikryl
Guest




prikryl wrote:
Do you edit remote file directly of the remote panel? Or do you edit local file, uploading it manually after saving?


I highlight a file on the remote server and hit F4 to launch the internal editor, make edits, then save from within it.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24996
Location: Prague, Czechia
Quote:
I highlight a file on the remote server and hit F4 to launch the internal editor, make edits, then save from within it.

Sorry, it does not make any sense. It simply does record the upload. Please try again. Post the log file even if you do not see upload recorded.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
Guest




prikryl wrote:
Quote:
I highlight a file on the remote server and hit F4 to launch the internal editor, make edits, then save from within it.

Sorry, it does not make any sense. It simply does record the upload. Please try again. Post the log file even if you do not see upload recorded.


OK, it seems to be working. Don't quite know what the problem was before. Anyhow, the log file is like 50MB. Is there any way to scale it back a bit? Do you want debug level 1 or 2, and where should I upload it?
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24996
Location: Prague, Czechia
Normal level may be enough for beginning.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum






Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License