WinSCP Icon was changed - please include the old one in file

Advertisement

Guest

WinSCP Icon was changed - please include the old one in file

Hi,

please include the old Icon in the executable resources.
The old one was pretty nice, the new one not ;-)

So everyone can create links with the old icon if wanted.

Reply with quote

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar
Joined:
Posts:
29,501
Location:
Prague, Czechia

Anonymous wrote:

the new one looks very ugly on Win2k.
Does it mean you just do not like it, or that there's some Win2k-specific problem?
_________________
Martin Prikryl

Reply with quote

Guest

martin wrote:

Does it mean you just do not like it, or that there's some Win2k-specific problem?

Actually both ;)
When the icon is not selected it has an black background:

<invalid hyperlink removed by admin> (<invalid hyperlink removed by admin>)

Reply with quote

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar
Joined:
Posts:
29,501
Location:
Prague, Czechia

OK, thanks. Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a fixed version, once I have it, for testing? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

Reply with quote

Advertisement

Guest

Icon

My problem is I have been using WinSCP for YEARS and I've come to expect that old icon, my eyes are visually trained to find it on my desktop, now every time I go to use it (which is a LOT) I have to scan the desktop to find out where it is again.. Just a link to the old icon would be great please. I am not the only one with this issue either everyone I work with that has used WinSCP for years is experiencing the same visual torment.

Reply with quote

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar
Joined:
Posts:
29,501
Location:
Prague, Czechia

Re: Icon

Anonymous wrote:

My problem is I have been using WinSCP for YEARS and I've come to expect that old icon, my eyes are visually trained to find it on my desktop, now every time I go to use it (which is a LOT) I have to scan the desktop to find out where it is again.. Just a link to the old icon would be great please. I am not the only one with this issue either everyone I work with that has used WinSCP for years is experiencing the same visual torment.
You can use icon from old version .exe for your destop shortcut.
_________________
Martin Prikryl

Reply with quote

Guest

You could include both icons in the exe file

You can include the new and the old icon in the WinSCP exe file.
So you can change the icon used by softlinks by selecting: choose icon.

You need to put it into the resources.
Why not give it a try?

Reply with quote

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar
Joined:
Posts:
29,501
Location:
Prague, Czechia

Re: You could include both icons in the exe file

Anonymous wrote:

You can include the new and the old icon in the WinSCP exe file.
So you can change the icon used by softlinks by selecting: choose icon.

You need to put it into the resources.
Why not give it a try?
Well the icon is part of application brand. Giving you option to choose icon is the same as giving you option to change application name.
_________________
Martin Prikryl

Reply with quote

Guest

Thats not really true. Its a feature!
Many Games and other Applications include different Icons in their resources part of the exe file or in another dll.

By the way: The old Icon was great!

Reply with quote

Ricardo
Donor
Ricardo avatar
Joined:
Posts:
108

iexplore.exe contains many icons, for example.
shell32.dll is almost an icon library.
WinSCP.exe could include the old icon as well.
[I like the new one, anyway]

Reply with quote

USER
Guest

Re: Icon

Anonymous wrote:

My problem is I have been using WinSCP for YEARS and I've come to expect that old icon, my eyes are visually trained to find it on my desktop, now every time I go to use it (which is a LOT) I have to scan the desktop to find out where it is again.. Just a link to the old icon would be great please. I am not the only one with this issue either everyone I work with that has used WinSCP for years is experiencing the same visual torment.

That's my problem too! But you can use programs like ExeIco a.s.o to change the icon to anything else.
HTH.

Reply with quote

Advertisement

netvope
Joined:
Posts:
4

I really like the old icon. The new one feels like a graveyard...

Is the old icon still in the source tree? I'd like to compile it with the old icon (if that isn't too difficult.)

Reply with quote

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar
Joined:
Posts:
29,501
Location:
Prague, Czechia

netvope wrote:

Is the old icon still in the source tree? I'd like to compile it with the old icon (if that isn't too difficult.)
Not anymore.
_________________
Martin Prikryl

Reply with quote

ks
Donor
ks avatar
Joined:
Posts:
77
Location:
Moscow

1 more vote for the old

Me too liked the old one more.
The new one seems to make sense when you look at it closely, but when you see it at a distance it's a strange mixture of colors.
Of course, I manually selected the old icon for my shortcut but it's not convenient to have that icon separately.

Reply with quote

Advertisement

Didzis
Joined:
Posts:
1

i'm probably to conservative, new icon didn't get in to my heart. i tried to make one, wich would look moore like old version, to be easier to find it on my desktop. it's not an art piece, but can be useful for someone here. :)
p.s. 16x16px version is from old-original icon.


http://www.didzis.com/winscp/winscp.ico

Reply with quote

Raazy
Guest

Didzis wrote:

i'm probably to conservative, new icon didn't get in to my heart. i tried to make one, wich would look moore like old version, to be easier to find it on my desktop. it's not an art piece, but can be useful for someone here. :)
p.s. 16x16px version is from old-original icon.


http://www.didzis.com/winscp/winscp.ico

Your icon looks way better than the new one. Especially in big icon lists.
Thanks.

And imho I think the old one was much better than this new one at all - two computers connected together via secure link - was better than one paddle with upload and download arrows. Now it looks like an torrent client or download manager. I don't get it.

Reply with quote

Jan Belov
Guest

Stara ikona - zvyk je zelezna kosile

martin wrote:

netvope wrote:

Is the old icon still in the source tree? I'd like to compile it with the old icon (if that isn't too difficult.)
Not anymore.

Velka skoda.
Mozna to vypada divne, ale kvuli stare ikone (ale hlavne kvuli ikone na liste spustenych aplikaci - tam se ikona zmenit neda) jsem se vratil ke starsi verzi a novejsi jiz stahovat nebudu, pokud nebudu donucen.
Bohuzel pri me rozpracovanosti, kdy mam pustenych treba 20 oken, nejsem schopen WinSCP rychle najit na liste, kde mam spustene aplikace. Trva mi to prilis dlouho a strasne to zdrzuje, nemuzu si na novou ikonu proste zvyknout, je mezi ostatnimi neviditelna :-/

Reply with quote

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum